UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2020, 12:59 pm   #21
enryfox
Triode

Default Re: Help with fixing an old Panasonic NV-G10 VCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
If you are OK in playback how can the lower drum worn?
When in Forward scan the tape is pulled harder by the capstan due to the increased speed and also back tension is higher (friction increases rapidly with speed); as a consequence the tape is squeezed against the head drums and while the upper drum is surrounded by a thin film of air due to its high speed rotation, the lower drum relies only on it glossiness which I guess in my VCR is somehow lost to a certain degree.
During playback the forces acting on the tape are weaker thus allowing a smooth playback.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 1:32 pm   #22
vhs doctor
Pentode

When you are in REW during playback the pinch roller have contact with capstan or not?
Old 27th Jul 2020, 1:50 pm   #23
enryfox
Triode

Yes, during scan backward capstan and pinch roller are in contact as during playback. But with scan backward there is basically no back tension because the take-up hub does not have a back tension mechanism.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 2:00 pm   #24
vhs doctor
Pentode

Are you sure that the pinch roller is OK. The capstan control the speed during playback rew
Old 27th Jul 2020, 3:22 pm   #25
enryfox
Triode

Pinch roller might be a bit hardened, but I have not found a replacement.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 5:48 pm   #26
vhs doctor
Pentode

In my opinion it is difficult to have worn lower drum because you must have also problems in playback. Also in these mechanisms D1 i haven't seen damaged lower drum. Most of these vcrs used as home VCRs especially in my country G7 G10 and G12 with a very few hours in playback and recording. Also D1 mechanism is not full loading mechanism in FF REW this mean reduced head worn in comparison with full loading (ex G-deck k-mech etc)

If your lower drum is not shiny it does not mean that is worn. Only if you use dry cleaning tapes or you have damaged with tools such as screwdrivers etc....
Old 27th Jul 2020, 7:21 pm   #27
enryfox
Triode

I would agree with you, i have not used much this VCR even if it is quite old.
But a simple test I did shows that the tape is sticking to the head drum: after releasing FF during playback, exactly when the tape stops running, I tried to manually pulling the tape and it clearly is sticking, I need to pull hard to unstick it so that play back can resume.

Even to the touch the lower drum is not as slippery as I would expect.

Not sure what happened, maybe 19 years of storage in an attic did not help.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 9:06 pm   #28
enryfox
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
From your description the problem must be related with the gears near the clutch.
Can you elaborate a bit more on that idea ?

I checked again and indeed the G10 has two clutches which work in a very complex way (one seems to engage only briefly at the start of the playback..)
I moved all the mechanism by hand but still have not fully grasped how it works.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:51 pm   #29
vhs doctor
Pentode

The main clutch is under the main pulley. The basic clutch function is gear which moves up and down with a pendulum and engage or disengage the main cluntch. As far as i remember the gear with holes in the upper side of the the pulley must be engaged in REVIEW function but i am not very sure.

You can observe the mechanism during operation to understand how it works.
Closed Thread