UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2019, 10:52 pm   #61
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: The BBC Apollo coverage tapes

The BBC doesn't appear to have promoted it greatly, but it has been showing a 6-part documentary series on BBC4 this week called "Chasing the Moon".
Four one-hour parts have been shown over the last two nights and it has been quite excellent. I've watch a lot of films and documentaries about Apollo and this might well be the best.

So, if you've missed it so far, the last two parts show on BBC4 at 9pm tomorrow (Thursday) and will cover Apollo 9 onwards.

My guess is that they will probably show all 6 parts again in the next few days, but probably at a very late time. If you record them I think you will enjoy them.

B
Old 18th Jul 2019, 7:51 am   #62
Mr Hoover
Hexode

I must watch it, thanks.

The series is available on the iPlayer for 5 months,not just the usual 30 days which helps.
Old 18th Jul 2019, 8:16 am   #63
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Had a little chuckle to myself last night at the controller having to announce "trans Lunar Insertion " and it showing them giggling in the control room.
Old 18th Jul 2019, 9:06 pm   #64
andrewferguson
Hexode

Seeing this thread pop up again this morning reminded me of Gulliver's comment back in March about the chap who recorded the BBC broadcast but now had unplayable tapes due to using recycled computer tape. At the time I did look on the Dr Who Restoration Team site, but couldn't find anything.

I've been thinking about this all day. Anyone know anything more about it?
Old 19th Jul 2019, 8:31 am   #65
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Back in the 80's I sold a Sony reel to reel video machine complete with the moon landing on the tapes.

Must be worth a mint now but not then.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 9:29 am   #66
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewferguson View Post
Seeing this thread pop up again this morning reminded me of Gulliver's comment back in March about the chap who recorded the BBC broadcast but now had unplayable tapes due to using recycled computer tape. At the time I did look on the Dr Who Restoration Team site, but couldn't find anything.

I've been thinking about this all day. Anyone know anything more about it?
AFAIK there were two people who had a stash of reel to reel domestic video recordings...just to save confusion.

One had a hoard of pop music from the 60/70s which he tried to sell at various times for £1000s..then he died and his wife donated it and much time since has been to restore the material ..this was on the TV news a while ago.

The other person worked in computers at the time so he had access to large amounts of tape, and thus was able to record countless lost TV ..but years later this was either to have been found to be a load of old bull or they just didn't play by those who investigated ..hence you not hear much about it now.

This company investigates missing television and recently found some lost Morecambe & Wise shows in Africa.

https://www.tiea.co.uk/lost-shows.htm
Old 19th Jul 2019, 12:56 pm   #67
railwayman3
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
The BBC doesn't appear to have promoted it greatly, but it has been showing a 6-part documentary series on BBC4 this week called "Chasing the Moon".
Four one-hour parts have been shown over the last two nights and it has been quite excellent. I've watch a lot of films and documentaries about Apollo and this might well be the best.

So, if you've missed it so far, the last two parts show on BBC4 at 9pm tomorrow (Thursday) and will cover Apollo 9 onwards.

My guess is that they will probably show all 6 parts again in the next few days, but probably at a very late time. If you record them I think you will enjoy them.

B
Definitely well worth watching, much unseen and behind-the-scenes material. (Unlike the BBC's own effort with an old James Burke and Maggie whatever-her-name-is from Sky-at-Night. The BBC having erased all its coverage from 1969, all that they did was to drag up old material from the
1950's onwards and make fun of the simple technical standards of presentation and animations, and the posh accents. Just IMHO. )
Old 19th Jul 2019, 1:55 pm   #68
andrewferguson
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
The other person worked in computers at the time so he had access to large amounts of tape, and thus was able to record countless lost TV ..but years later this was either to have been found to be a load of old bull or they just didn't play by those who investigated ..hence you not hear much about it now.
That sounds like the chap that Gulliver mentioned; any links or more details?
Old 19th Jul 2019, 1:59 pm   #69
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
That sounds like the chap that Gulliver mentioned; any links or more details?
Yes the link is at the bottom of my previous post.

The BBC did put together all the stuff they had for this programme about 10 years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/the-sk...member/z4cjgwx

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 19th Jul 2019 at 2:07 pm.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 4:19 pm   #70
andrewferguson
Hexode

No doubt I'm being a bit thick here, but I couldn't find anything on the page you linked to that was specifically about the person who made off-air recordings using computer tape.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 4:38 pm   #71
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

The actual person is now dead AFAIK so can't link him until there is broadband link to the other side.
The link was (if you want investigate further) to one of the parties that tried to pursue the tapes.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 6:41 pm   #72
dsergeant
Octode

I watched parts of last night's Chasing the Moon. Some of it quite interesting, I am sure I remember the moon walk video being a lot less blurry than they showed it. But although they spent quite some time on the launch, landing and moon walk they then covered the relaunch of the LEM, return to earth and the splashdown in 10 seconds flat. Michael Collins hardly appeared in it at all. I turned in for the night after that so not sure what they covered of the later missions. Did they cover Apollo 13, which for me was just as exciting as all the others, though obviously for different reasons.
Closed Thread