UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 1:35 pm   #1
Wozerp1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dynatron Model TV36

Hi all, thanks for accepting me on the forum.

I have been clearing the loft in my family home in preparation for some repairs and renovations. I've found tucked in the corner a Dynatron model TV.36 television. As far as I remember, this TV has been there all my life and I don't recall ever seeing it in action.

I'd like to dispose of it, so was wondering if someone might know how old it is (I'm guessing at least 50 years!) and whether it has any value?

Apart from being a bit grubby from sitting in the roof for many years, it seems in reasonable condition, with only a little damage to the wooden veneer on a couple of edges.

Many thanks!
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:44 pm   #2
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: Dynatron Model TV36

Hi Wozerp,

Any pictures of it?

Cheers,
Aidan Lunn
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 9:53 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

According to the Dynatron service instructions for the TV36 the set is called the "Belvedere". The CRT employed in this set is the 17" 110* Mazda CME1703. It's likely the set was made late 1959 or 1960. A similar chassis was fitted in the Ekco T344 and Ferranti T1023.

DFWB.
Old 6th Apr 2018, 8:44 am   #4
Brigham
Octode

This MAY be the Dynatron I grew up with. I've never managed to find one, or even a decent picture of one.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 8:04 pm   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
According to the Dynatron service instructions for the TV36 the set is called the "Belvedere". The CRT employed in this set is the 17" 110* Mazda CME1703. It's likely the set was made late 1959 or 1960. A similar chassis was fitted in the Ekco T344 and Ferranti T1023.

DFWB.
I Have a TV48V in my lounge that is a 3/4 length console. (It has little short legs) slatted "roller" doors and a whacking big speaker in the lower part of the cabinet. Controls in an escutcheon on the side. They are great sets, easy to restore and a belting picture from the Mullard tube. The LOPT cowling tends to disintegrate though.
My grandfather had a set with the same chassis but slightly different cabinet from 1959 until he got a colour set in the late 70's. The Dynatron had worked faultlessly during that time it had never had a single fault. it still gave a excellent picture. He gave it to the neighbour's son who was going to university....
Old 7th Apr 2018, 8:40 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"I Have a TV48V in my lounge that is a 3/4 length console. (It has little short legs) slatted "roller" doors and a whacking big speaker in the lower part of the cabinet."
Hi Slidertogrid, Your set is called the "Kensington". Has a 10" X 6" loudspeaker. Electrically similar to the Ekco T368. One of the best 405 line sets ever made.
Service manual for these Dynatron sets resembles a little booklet.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0132.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	160674  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 5:57 pm   #7
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
They are great sets, easy to restore and a belting picture from the Mullard tube. The LOPT cowling tends to disintegrate though.
Common knowledge with late 50s Ekcos. It's made of some kind of perspex which disintegrates as it ages, presumably due to the high voltages or something nearby. As it disintegrates it can become prone to "tracking" and can self-ignite during use, and continue slowly burning even if unplugged. Best thing to do is to build a new housing and transplant the LOPT and EHT rectifier themselves over to the new housing.

Quote:
My grandfather had a set with the same chassis but slightly different cabinet from 1959 until he got a colour set in the late 70's. The Dynatron had worked faultlessly during that time it had never had a single fault. it still gave a excellent picture. He gave it to the neighbour's son who was going to university....
That would probably be a TV47 or TV47V, of which I have one such example buried under a pile of other TVs.
Old 8th Apr 2018, 7:56 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanLunn View Post
That would probably be a TV47 or TV47V, of which I have one such example buried under a pile of other TVs.
I would like to see a picture of it as and when you can. I would love to see one again after all these years!
I had just started work when my grandfather got rid of his. I thought he did well to find anyone who wanted it. At the time most 405 only sets had gone the daily repairs were the last dual standard sets and single standard stuff like the PYE 169 ITT VC200 thorn 1500 etc. even those were getting on.
I admired the Dynatron though because of it's lovely cabinet and the fact that it had never broken down in almost 20 years.
As I remember it was a table model with solid wood doors and the controls on the side. It would be lovely to think that somehow it had survived but I recon it probably wouldn't have lasted too long in the halls of residence.. it probably ended it's days under a pile of Watneys party seven tins!

Rich.
Old 8th Apr 2018, 11:57 pm   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

I assume the set is TV only. I have the TV37 "Buckingham" 17" table set with doors.
It also has FM radio operation with H,L,T on the turret. On this set the tuner
projects below the chassis, so additional bench support is required. So 1959-60 date.
Closed Thread