UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:39 am   #1
BulgingCap
Pentode

Default Xacto soldering iron

I spotted an old soldering iron hanging up in a pal's shed. It appeared to be a cheap mains Weller, but on inspection was branded as an Xacto 378. The business end has a collet fitting exactly like the Xacto knife. It is fitted with a US 120v plug so I queried my friend, who said he had owned it for years that he had not tried it. This was fortunate as he did not know what a US plug was, and worse that the US mains is 120v. US plugs can be forced into Aussie sockets by the uninitiated and strong - both of which my friend is.
He gave it to me so I fitted a blade and tried it. I can't think of a use for it but cannot toss it out, so it is hanging with my old Antexes.
I think the handle is identical to the Weller TCPs, with 3 mounting self tappers and one screw for a ground wire, but not sure as I threw my TCPs away years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-532F.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	210627   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-534F.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	210628  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 12:41 pm   #2
Chrispy57
Hexode

Default Re: Xacto soldering iron

Hi - many years ago when I worked in a Climbing Equipment Shop as a student, we had a 200W soldering iron fitted with a blade-shaped bit for cutting and sealing the ends of nylon ropes and slings. I wonder if your example had a similar purpose?

Cheers
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgingCap View Post
I spotted an old soldering iron hanging up in a pal's shed. It appeared to be a cheap mains Weller, but on inspection was branded as an Xacto 378. The business end has a collet fitting exactly like the Xacto knife. It is fitted with a US 120v plug so I queried my friend, who said he had owned it for years that he had not tried it. This was fortunate as he did not know what a US plug was, and worse that the US mains is 120v. US plugs can be forced into Aussie sockets by the uninitiated and strong - both of which my friend is.
He gave it to me so I fitted a blade and tried it. I can't think of a use for it but cannot toss it out, so it is hanging with my old Antexes.
I think the handle is identical to the Weller TCPs, with 3 mounting self tappers and one screw for a ground wire, but not sure as I threw my TCPs away years ago.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 4:22 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

Interesting device, and it does look very much like a Weller handle/basic element. Maybe Xacto wanted to get on the hot-knife scene and Weller licensed them to use their hardware. That thin blade/collet chuck recipe seems like a seizure liability with long-term heat-induced oxidation though!

A good case for a capacitor dropper maybe? Phase-corrected of course.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 4:27 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I thought at one time Weller and Xacto were both part of Cooper Tools.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 4:32 am   #5
BulgingCap
Pentode

That neatly explains it, Tony.
I see that Amazon is listing a similar Xacto tool, now called 'Elmers Xacto', but the handle is a different moulding. Useful for carving plastic, styrofoam and candles, apparently.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 5:54 am   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I thought at one time Weller and Xacto were both part of Cooper Tools.
Wasn’t that Xcelite?
Old 10th Jul 2020, 12:56 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Now Apex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_Tool_Group
Interesting factoid, X-Acto began life as a failed surgical instrument.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 8:26 pm   #8
factory
Octode

Searching for "hot knife iron" find other brands & sizes of these, including a Duratool 150W iron and tips for Weller (discontinued) & Portasol irons.

David
Closed Thread