UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2021, 3:50 pm   #1
pmmunro
Octode

Default Fastener Terminology Guide Retaining Rings & Washers

Before filing this guide in its proper place (please don't ask), I thought it might be useful to scan it to help answer the questions which quite frequently arise on the forum about the correct name for types of fasteners.

The full title is "Assembly & Fastener Methods No.2 Permament Fasteners, Retaining Rings, Washers" and dates from around 1965,the time when many of these components were being used on equipment of interest in this forum.

The "Permanent Fasteners" are rivets of all kinds and this section includes three pages on riveting practice.

I've scanned the whole document, including advertisements because these contain some useful pages and some which will be of historical interest, if only for their amusement value.

The overall file size is too big to attach here but I've included a couple of sample pages to show what is contained. If this is of interest to anyone, I can arrange to get the whole file to you.

If anyone has the first part "Fastener Terminology No 1" Threaded Fasteners, I would be interested in that.

PMM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sample Retaining rings.pdf (1.87 MB, 183 views)
Old 12th Jan 2021, 4:13 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Fastener Terminology Guide Retaining Rings & Washers

Very useful, thanks for posting.

The "grip ring" is one I've seen used a lot in our kind of machines, but never known quite what to call it.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 5:29 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

Thanks, it will be a useful addition to my copy of Machinery's screw thead book.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 5:31 pm   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

That's fascinating! Especially with so much moving online rather than having an illustrated catalogue to flick through, having the right search term makes all the difference and saves hours.

I'll PM you for details of the full file. You can post a shared link from a cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive to allow people to download single files too large for the forum, especially as it's likely to be too large to e-mail as well.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 9:21 pm   #5
mole42uk
Nonode

Excellent! Thank you Peter, that is really helpful information.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Closed Thread