UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2021, 10:31 pm   #21
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Checking 10MHz OCXO frequency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
This one specifies: <±1 part in 10⁶/year after 1 month's continuous use.
Thanks. That isn't a great specification for an OCXO but assuming it is a few years old it will hopefully now perform better than that from year to year.

Over in the USA the ARRL often hold an offair challenge to measure a transmitted test frequency as accurately as possible. I think they do it on the 3.5MHz and 7MHz bands. Even with fairly basic equipment I'd expect many people to measure within 1Hz and some will probably be within 0.1Hz.

So I guess that is another option if you have the receive setup for this. Someone local (radio amateur) could transmit an accurate test signal or maybe both of you could agree to measure the same commercial SW broadcast station on the 7MHz SW band at the same time and compare results. It doesn't matter how accurate the broadcast station is, it only matters if their signal doesn't drift more than 1Hz. This assumes the other helper has a decent setup with a traceable reference. It could be done with a low cost SDR clocked from an external source for example. In my case I'd be tempted to use a real time spectrum analyser as it has a very accurate 10MHz reference that I can check against an offair standard. The simplest option would be based on the method used by W2AEW using a counter and stable signal generator and a reasonably good HF receiver with an s-meter.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 13th Jan 2021 at 10:37 pm.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 11:04 pm   #22
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Checking 10MHz OCXO frequency?

Thanks to Chris it looks like I might be borrowing a 10MHz GPSDO soon....

I've also started buying the parts to make one of my own. A GPSDO seems to be a useful bit of kit.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Closed Thread