UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2021, 10:21 pm   #1
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default Temperature & humidity monitoring

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a temperature monitoring system?
Basically, I would like to monitor (ideally with an app) the temperature & humidity of the following locations:

1.) The loft
2.) The garage
3.) The big shed
4.) The small shed

Ideally, a wireless system, though the two sheds are going to be out of range, so wired may be the best option for a complete system, although running cables could be a pain.
I have been browsing some of the products on Lascar electronics-lots to choose from ! But hoping for some recommendations.

Many thanks,
Retrotechie
Old 5th Jan 2021, 10:35 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Temperature & humidity monitoring

I have a couple of Casella Thermohygrographs - clockwork, one week on a drum chart, vintage....errr not at all electrical!
Old 6th Jan 2021, 12:14 am   #3
stevenkw2t
Triode

Hi Retrotechie,
I investigated this a year ago. Some parts of our house suffer from damp. I bought 2 dehumidifiers but I wanted a way to measure what was actually going on. I had an existing weather station which included a humidity sensor on the outdoor unit and an indoor sensor which did temp/humidity.
I also did a lot of research on the humidity sensors available as part of smart home systems - all that home automation stuff - "alexa, switch on the living room lights at 6pm". But all the components were very expensive, for what you were getting.
So I ended up buying 3 extra sensors to work with my weather station: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/55 and I use these to monitor humidity and deploy my dehumidifiers. The range is pretty good - they use RF frequencies not wifi. And now they come with an app - no need to use them as part of a weather station setup.
Edit: [after reading their website you do need this central unit: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/16 then you can add more sensors]
-Steven

Last edited by stevenkw2t; 6th Jan 2021 at 12:19 am. Reason: update info re use of sensors
Old 6th Jan 2021, 10:56 am   #4
camallison
Heptode

Not quite what you have in mind, but I use a product called Sensor Blue ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brifit-Ther...a-925637116923

It is stand alone and communicates via bluetooth with your smartphone. The app, available for android or iphone, indicates temperature, humidity and dew point. Also, the unit records the temperature, so you can look at trends. OK, you have to be in range to take a reading, but how often are you going to look? The unit itself shows temperature and humidity on its own display.

Had my units over a year and still going well on the original batteries.

Colin
Old 6th Jan 2021, 6:51 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

I used to be a very keen weather observer way back, in the garden I had my max/min thermometer, and other typical sensors which I used to record in my note book. Today I’ve got a basic system with three remote sensors and a display inside the house, I don’t record any data today. One problem I experienced was location of remote sensors, no signal from bottom of garden, which happens to be the best location, so be aware of that, which I think you mentioned in your post.
John
Old 6th Jan 2021, 7:04 pm   #6
GMB
Dekatron

My external wireless thermometer doesn't give very accurate results in winter because it tries to run on a single cell which means it stops working when it gets cold - the time I really want the answer!

There was a suggestion of trying it on a Li battery but for some reason this is too much voltage and sends it into a latch-up state.
Old 6th Jan 2021, 7:25 pm   #7
John10b
Nonode

My old remote sensors never failed to work down to approximately-5C. I live by the sea so it doesn’t often go well below 0*C.
John
Old 6th Jan 2021, 10:42 pm   #8
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I have a cheap Lidl weather station that does inside and outside temperature, it runs on AA batteries and has been fine even below -7c no humidity sensor unfortunately, it also has a radio controlled clock. It's wireless from the outside sensor.
Old 6th Jan 2021, 11:44 pm   #9
Retrotechie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkw2t View Post
Hi Retrotechie,
I investigated this a year ago. Some parts of our house suffer from damp. I bought 2 dehumidifiers but I wanted a way to measure what was actually going on. I had an existing weather station which included a humidity sensor on the outdoor unit and an indoor sensor which did temp/humidity.
I also did a lot of research on the humidity sensors available as part of smart home systems - all that home automation stuff - "alexa, switch on the living room lights at 6pm". But all the components were very expensive, for what you were getting.
So I ended up buying 3 extra sensors to work with my weather station: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/55 and I use these to monitor humidity and deploy my dehumidifiers. The range is pretty good - they use RF frequencies not wifi. And now they come with an app - no need to use them as part of a weather station setup.
Edit: [after reading their website you do need this central unit: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/16 then you can add more sensors]
-Steven
Many thanks Steven, this system looks just the ticket and reasonably priced too.
Old 7th Jan 2021, 5:24 pm   #10
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
I have a cheap Lidl weather station that does inside and outside temperature, it runs on AA batteries and has been fine even below -7c no humidity sensor unfortunately, it also has a radio controlled clock. It's wireless from the outside sensor.
These devices work well but seem to scoff batteries, they only last 6 months.
The only other issue is having to remember to set up the clock as minus 1 hour, the signal comes from Frankfurt!