UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2020, 12:23 pm   #1
Michael.N.
Pentode

Default My favourite brush.

We all like a bargain? Especially one that works extremely well. It's a French polishing mop or spirit varnish brush. Now I must admit to having a few too many brushes when it comes to varnish, somehow it's gone past the number 30. Not quite sure how that has happened. Two of them cost around £25 - £30 each. A couple of years ago I came across a brush in one of the drawers at home that looked very much like a French polishing mop. It was in a cheap plastic 'pound shop' type packaging, no brand. It was a blusher brush (very soft hair) but none of the females in the house knew anything about it! I know I wouldn't buy such cheap rubbish. . . except as a varnish brush it's extremely good! I doubt it cost more than a few £. In fact I now use it instead of those expensive brushes that I mentioned earlier. I not only use it on radio cabinets but on guitars that can cost £X,000's !!
Strictly for thin watery shellac. Between coats I place the brush in plastic to keep it sweet. With spirit varnishing the whole thing can run to 20 coats or more. Seems like an awful lot but each coat takes no more than 2 or 3 minutes to apply.
No good for thicker type oil varnishes though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brush.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	220175  
Old 15th Nov 2020, 12:56 am   #2
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: My favourite brush.

Another bargain, the retired tooth brush. Great for cleaning things, without causing scratches. And that tip is from those unseen heroines in the hospitality world. That hotel room in one of the top hotels- in and around all the tools etc they use the used toothbrush has pride of place.
Closed Thread