UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2020, 7:52 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default R24 capacitor problem fixed.

In the dim and distant past when car-boot-sales were still a thing [last year!] I bought a R24 for a pittance. The initial hum-when-on-mains-power issue was resolved by replacing the big grey smoothing-capacitor (these 'see' voltage all the time the radio's fed with mains-power, irrespective of whether it's actually turned on using the on/off/volume control, so they do tend to dry out a bit).

Problem was, the tuning was crackly on FM. I put this down to a failing Polyvaricon - which being a component that can't be serviced, led me to put the radio to one side and forget about it.

Dug it out again today for another play - the crackliness/scratchiness was now noticeable on MW/LW too. Which made me a bit suspicious.

short story - opened up the radio and realised that the capacitor case moved slightly when you tuned it.

A-Ha!

Fought with the tuning-string/pulley and was able to tighten the two screws holding the Polyvaricon to the PCB, and re-flow the soldered joints to its moving/fixed plates.

Result: no more crackling! I also took the opportunity to 'tweak' the coverage a bit - originally it covers 88-104MHz but now it does 93-108.5 which is more useful. OK, the dial calibration's no longer sensible but I can put up with that, and it's an easily-reversible tweak should I ever want to listen to Radios 2 or 3 in future.

People denigrate the later small Roberts radios but I rather like them.
Old 11th Dec 2020, 11:58 pm   #2
pip5678
Pentode

Default Re: R24 capacitor problem fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I also took the opportunity to 'tweak' the coverage a bit - originally it covers 88-104MHz but now it does 93-108.5 which is more useful. OK, the dial calibration's no longer sensible but I can put up with that, and it's an easily-reversible tweak should I ever want to listen to Radios 2 or 3 in future.
I have one of these and wondered about doing the same thing, I take it this was an adjustment of the FM oscillator? Thanks
Old 12th Dec 2020, 9:29 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes, you just need to tweak the two FM trimmers [antenna and oscillator] on the Polyvaricon; set the tuning to around 103MHz and open the oscillator-tuning trimmer fully, then when you're receiving a station, peak it with the antenna-tuning trimmer.

it can be kinda handy to have a scanner or a frequency-counter on hand to see what frequency you're tweaking the LO to.

Tweaked, I can now happily listen to the Swindon relay of "Greatest Hits Radio" on 107.9MHz
Old 13th Dec 2020, 11:05 am   #4
pip5678
Pentode

Thanks G6Tanuki much appreciated, I take it the FM oscillator trimmer is c313 and antenna trimmer is c306 off the diagram?
Old 13th Dec 2020, 2:58 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes - they're the ones - on the polyvaricon itself.

I used a scalpel-blade to put tiny scratch-marks on the plastic next to the original trimmer screw-slot positions before doing any tweaking so - if I got it wrong - I could return things to original with the minimum fuss.
Old 13th Dec 2020, 4:17 pm   #6
pip5678
Pentode

Brilliant, many thanks again.
Closed Thread