UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2020, 8:57 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Sony VHS Tape Recorder Chewing Tape On Eject

Looking at a Sony SLV-SE810G VHS recorder for a friend who reports it chews up the tape when tape is ejected, but otherwise works OK.

Just got it open tonight and need to find a VHS tape buried in my attic somewhere, my friend did not provide a tape.

Have very occasionally done a little VHS repair work over the years but not very knowledgeable on them, so if anybody has any tips what to look out for, it would be much appreciated.

One strange thing, there was tape label fitted over a see through plastic shaft (Photos 1, 2 & 3), it had a clean round hole in the label to fit over the shaft as if someone had intentionally fitted it. I have removed it as it does not look like it should be here ?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201024_203917413.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	218812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitted tape label.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	218813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removed tape label.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	218814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201024_204020468.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	218815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201024_204049164.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	218816  

Old 24th Oct 2020, 9:51 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Sony VHS Tape Recorder Chewing Tape On Eject

It shouldn’t be there, it was probably the cause of your fault in the first place!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:08 pm   #3
John123
Heptode

Wondering if perhaps the label fell off an old cassette and then sat there until another tape was then inserted over the top of it, causing a 'hole punch' effect!

The only other issue I've had with Sony's is the tape snagging on the half-loading arm, which can sometimes retract too slowly as the grease dries out, or from lack of use. You can see the arm to the right of the top-right corner of that tape label (first image). It should move back and forth quite freely.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:53 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You seem so experienced David. I'm amazed that you didn't have a blank VHS tape but I do understand that the [really] competent people are inclined to think "Been there, Done that, It was easy, Move on! I'm a bit the opposite ie still trying to catch up

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Oct 2020 at 11:09 pm.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 11:31 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post

The only other issue I've had with Sony's is the tape snagging on the half-loading arm, which can sometimes retract too slowly as the grease dries out, or from lack of use. You can see the arm to the right of the top-right corner of that tape label (first image). It should move back and forth quite freely.
Not on that deck John.

Old 24th Oct 2020, 11:55 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

These are amongst the last of the Sonys, perhaps the penultimate mech. As Michael says the sticky half load arm is not a problem on these.

Do make sure you remove that auto head cleaner arm to the right of the drum. The foam is likely to have perished and gone sticky, this can wreck the tape and even the heads.

Another fault I have had on these is the white idler assembly splitting and disintegrating. I still have a combo unit awaiting a donor! This would cause tape chewing and poor take up, you would hear it whining in fast wind if so. But let's not jump the gun until you have tried it out, hopefully the label was the only problem.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 12:00 am   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
You seem so experienced David. I'm amazed that you didn't have a blank VHS tape but I do understand that the [really] competent people are inclined to think "Been there, Done that, It was easy, Move on! I'm a bit the opposite ie still trying to catch up
Plenty of tapes Dave but archived away in the attic hidden under loads of stuff
but did find a couple.

David
Old 25th Oct 2020, 12:08 am   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you to everybody for their useful inputs.

Tried 2 tapes and could not fault it, so hopefully the tape label was the culprit. I found out that the plastic shaft the label was on goes up into a hole in the underside of the tape cassette to remove the brakes off the tape spools. So as John suggests a label must have come off the top of a tape and got pushed down onto the shaft during a load of a tape.

I gave the whole area a good clean, quite a lot of dirty dust/fluff and a little lubrication where required. I removed a tiny bit of sticky material off the auto head drum cleaner but apart from that the auto cleaner looked in good condition. Nothing seemed stiff and everything appeared to move/operate easily.

Tomorrow will hand it back for my friend to test it out.

David
Old 25th Oct 2020, 1:06 am   #9
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I removed a tiny bit of sticky material off the auto head drum cleaner but apart from that the auto cleaner looked in good condition.
At the risk of labouring the point, you need to remove that cleaner roller assembly completely. Even when the foam is in good condition, it is like using the same q-tip to clean your ears with for your whole life. They end up re-depositing dirt onto the drum.

That foam will deteriorate sooner rather than later, I have seen that sticky mess wreck tapes and, on a few occasions, destroy the heads on the drum. If I were you I'd do your friend a favour and get rid, as 'pre-emptive maintenance'.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 9:52 am   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Ben, no problem labouring the point, I had not fully digested your original recommendation to remove it.

It is now removed and I will shortly return the unit.

My friend should be pleased, in fact he should be very pleased as I am also taking back 3 other repairs for him, a sandwich toaster, a waffle maker and a CD/DVD player. While there I am also going to power up his Fisher X-100-A valve amp.

He recently sold it and it got damaged (broken valves and broken wooden case) during shipment and had to be returned. He was lucky that the wood breaks were all clean at interface joints so has been able to glue them back neatly. He has new valves and wants me to fit and check it out. I hope it does not end up me bringing it back home (if problems) as I have enough to do already.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201025_082134122.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	218838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201025_082155293.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	218839  
Old 25th Oct 2020, 9:58 am   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:

I found out that the plastic shaft the label was on goes up into a hole in the underside of the tape cassette to remove the brakes off the tape spools.

David
That 'shaft' is actually an LED that shines through the cassette to detect that there is tape in the cassette and also to shut the drive off when you get to the end of the tape clear leader.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 12:58 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes had seen a reference to LED, it must do the 2 jobs then, as it definitely seemed to line up with the hole on the underside of the cassette that releases the spool brakes.

David
Old 25th Oct 2020, 8:13 pm   #13
gallowfields
Hexode

this model is made by samsung there are also toshiba versions as well .just as a matter of interest
Old 25th Oct 2020, 10:00 pm   #14
Maarten
Dekatron

Are you sure? This one seems a last generation Sony-made machine, at the very least the electronics.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 10:29 pm   #15
Michael Maurice

That’s is definitely not a Samsung.

Old 26th Oct 2020, 11:52 am   #16
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Quote:
I removed a tiny bit of sticky material off the auto head drum cleaner but apart from that the auto cleaner looked in good condition.
At the risk of labouring the point, you need to remove that cleaner roller assembly completely. Even when the foam is in good condition, it is like using the same q-tip to clean your ears with for your whole life. They end up re-depositing dirt onto the drum.

That foam will deteriorate sooner rather than later, I have seen that sticky mess wreck tapes and, on a few occasions, destroy the heads on the drum. If I were you I'd do your friend a favour and get rid, as 'pre-emptive maintenance'.
I have a Sony SLV-E730UX which is a slightly earlier design. I was wondering how easy it was to remove to remove the head cleaner. I've downloaded the service manual but it only shows the play mechanism after a fair amount of earlier disassembly.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 11:57 am   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The head cleaner should just pop off.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 12:12 pm   #18
steve1010uk
Pentode

Like gallowfields i was also thinking that's a Samsung machine also badged Toshiba,
The ones that had many problems with the eeprom going haywire and needing reprogramming,
or perhaps i have got it wrong ?

Steve
Old 26th Oct 2020, 12:35 pm   #19
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes the head cleaner just pulled off very easily, without having to disassemble anything (apart from remove the top cover of course).

David
Old 26th Oct 2020, 4:09 pm   #20
ben
Dekatron

On some decks, you need to twist the head cleaner assembly 90ยบ so that a plastic tab/spigot can locate in a gap, allowing it to be lifted off.

Other designs, you can remove the upper part, the arm/roller foam, leaving part of the lower am in place.

Always be very careful when working in close proximity to the drum! Power should always be off as well, in case the thing tries to start up as you block the light/IR sensors.
Closed Thread