UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2020, 3:06 pm   #1
livewireless123
Tetrode

Smile How not to do it!

I don't know if this is in the right forum section but I thought it might raise a smile or two. I was sorting some old papers and found a copy of this pic from
ETI. magazine from the 9os
mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work shop pic 001.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	217691  

PREVIOUS USER NAME- MIKE G3ZII
Old 12th Oct 2020, 3:24 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: How not to do it!

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, I developed and ran an electronics teaching lab at UMIST. Unusually for the time, the students were asked to actually build circuits such as amplifiers, flip flops etc. These were usually soldered together on tagboards. However, once DIL ICs came along, the circuits demanded Veroboard assembly.

The many tasks demanded of our adaptable and resourceful lab technician included the dismantling of the students' creations to recover as many components as possible ready for the next class. When I expressed my admiration at the speed with which he accomplished this, he showed me his method, starting by lighting a big bunsen burner and judiciously holding the assembled veroboard over it. A sharp tap and the job was done. The components did seem to survive!

Martin
Old 12th Oct 2020, 3:45 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Works particularly well with SMT.

David
Old 12th Oct 2020, 3:58 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes in days-gone-past I would regularly salvage components from old computer-boards by heating the solder-side with a propane torch then whacking the board components-side-down against the bench, releasing a shower of diodes, transistors, resistors and blobs of solder into a conveniently-placed roasting tin!

The parts generally survived such mistreatment.
Old 12th Oct 2020, 4:18 pm   #5
sortedradio
Heptode

Another pic for the workshop wall!
Old 12th Oct 2020, 4:27 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

A few years back there was a documentary on one of the "worthy" channels- probably Channel 4 Unreported World or the like- showing what happens to the waste, including electronics, dumped by the West that gets sorted through by Chinese villagers. It really was a case of playing a blow-lamp over PCBs and shaking out the ICs.
Old 12th Oct 2020, 5:04 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

...which are then cleaned and resold! Mind you, that's proper recycling.
Old 12th Oct 2020, 5:54 pm   #8
ex 2 Base
Heptode

A few years ago I was in Istanbul grand Bazar, in the area where TV, video recorders and other electronic boards were being dismantled. Some boys were removing resistors, others transistors and some scan coils. More knowledgeable boys who knew the colour code were placing the resistors into plastic drawers, even more knowledgeable were testing transistor with home made metering arrangement.. Further on electronic repair men were fixing things, using the very same components the boys down the line had removed. The scan coils were being wound onto wooden formers ready for reuse. Further on men were rewinding electric drill and other small armatures, and had a modern balancing machine, some thing we don't do any more Every thing was repairable, real eye opener, genuine recycling. Ted
Old 12th Oct 2020, 7:15 pm   #9
rontech
Heptode

I was dismantling a shower pump system which had a nice 240v - 24 v transformer fixed to a circuit board. Four pins were "active" ones plus another 8 or so NC ones.

I placed the board upside down on a couple of wooden blocks suspending the transformer about three inches above the work top. Then rapidly heated the solder side with a paint stripper heat gun. Transformer dropped out in about 5 secs or so.
Old 13th Oct 2020, 4:35 pm   #10
trsomian
Hexode

If trying to recover 40 pin DIL ICs in plated through holes from otherwise scraps boards there really isn't any way to compete with a hot air gun on the reverse side of the board
Old 13th Oct 2020, 9:32 pm   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I remember using the blowlamp method to recover some 4116 RAM chips of a scrap board, to use in my first IBM compatible PC, to bring the memory up to its full complement of 640 kilobytes.
Old 13th Oct 2020, 11:31 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

...and, as we know, no-one will ever need more than that (famous last words!)
Old 15th Oct 2020, 2:42 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
...which are then cleaned and resold! Mind you, that's proper recycling.
I would buy them too, but usually they're also sanded down and restamped which is a big no no.
Old 15th Oct 2020, 4:15 pm   #14
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

A little bit of trivia, I believe the cartoonist responsible for those items in ETI (as seen in post #1) was called Roy Pullen.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 11:24 am   #15
livewireless123
Tetrode

I did have a copy of this on the workshop wall, with names attached, The guy with the blow-lamp
looked quite a bit like an older chap called Eddy I worked with in a shop through most of the 90s. The other chap looked a bit like the shop owner.
When the owner died the business was sold off to a rival from a nearby town,
who nobody liked so it was time to 'abandon ship'
Eddy put up with him for a bit until he retired but I later heard he sadly was taken off by a heart attack quite soon after that.

PREVIOUS USER NAME- MIKE G3ZII
Old 16th Oct 2020, 11:37 am   #16
MrBungle
Dekatron

I'm sure that was the guy who had already attempted to repair a Kenwood transceiver I had to repair about a year ago.

I think he'd tried to go at one of the toroids with a tiddly Antex iron or something, which didn't work, then hit it with something much more powerful, toasting the board in the process. It was definitely repaired as the damage had been routed around using a bit of ladder line soldered on underneath it.

This was after it was clearly run into a mismatch for extended periods of time causing the LPF to fail. "NO TX ON 80M" I was told through gritted teeth hoping that I wouldn't notice the patch up job or not mention it.

Some people...

Incidentally I'm NEVER buying a second hand radio after the things I've seen.
Closed Thread