UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2022, 1:56 pm   #1
TheRamblingLank
Diode

Question Stellaphone ST 454 no input, and built in speaker issues.

Hi, I have acquired an attic-find Stellaphone ST 454 (Philips EL3541 clone), and I am having a couple of issues with it.

Firstly, the monitor light does not respond to the input signal (microphone or PC), and if you attempt to record it will not work. If you exercise the record button (which lets you monitor the signal) you can get a crackle out of the speaker which the monitor responds to, which leads me to think there is an issue with the input section.

The second issue is the built-in speaker output is extremely low, using the line-out is fine but it would be nice for the speaker to work.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to troubleshoot these issues would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 11th Nov 2022, 2:08 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Stellaphone ST 454 no input, and built in speaker issues.

If this has been out of use for many years, it is likely to need work in a number of areas. Do you have any electronics skills or test equipment?

The first thing to do is clean all switch contacts and potentiometers with contact cleaner (not ordinary WD40).

If you are new to valve electronics, please remember that high voltages are used. Don't be tempted to exceed your level of competence.
Old 11th Nov 2022, 5:15 pm   #3
TheRamblingLank
Diode

Default Re: Stellaphone ST 454 no input, and built in speaker issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
If this has been out of use for many years, it is likely to need work in a number of areas. Do you have any electronics skills or test equipment?

The first thing to do is clean all switch contacts and potentiometers with contact cleaner (not ordinary WD40).

If you are new to valve electronics, please remember that high voltages are used. Don't be tempted to exceed your level of competence.
Thank you for your response, yes I have some electronics experience and basic equipment, and certainly wouldn't risk harming myself, but I appreciate the cautious approach.

I will take some cleaner to the pots and switches as the previous owner wasn't actually able to even power it on, so there probably is some build up, thanks.
Closed Thread