UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2022, 4:02 pm   #1
gingpeakin
Hexode

Default Debrie D16 projector

I've just inherited a Debrie D16 badged as a Cinetechnic, Greenford D16.
It's quite an old one from I think the RAF. It has the WD arrow and 14C/5429 stamped on the side.
This one has the valve line-up EF37,ECC33,2 x EL37 and a GZ32, along with a nice CV1473 photocell. I'm sure a few new caps should bring the electronics back to life but the rubber roller on the motor shaft is in a real state. As well as being really worn down it is rock solid a quite shiny.
I'm soaking the roller as a prelude to dismantling the motor to check the centrifugal switch within.
Also the rubber on the sound/silent roller is in the same state - I can't work out what this does as it doesn't seem to connect to anything, least of all the great big flywheel on the capstan for the photocell.
Has anyone here had one of these? It would be great fun to get it running again.

Ging
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221022114909.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	266608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221022120355.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	266609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221022153630.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	266610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20221022153648.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	266611  
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 7:26 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Debrie D16 projector

In the early 1980s I came across a skip full of the amplifier sections.
The scrap man had all the projectors before they got to the skip.
I have a couple set up as a stereo and can help with any amplifier problems.
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 9:15 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

That amplifier is a marvel of tight packaging. Those EL37s should be capable of a good 20W output, depending on the HT voltage. I believe that EL37s are pretty sought after because they contain magic audio fairy dust.

I’d expect the sound/silent switch to change the speed from 16/18 fps to 24 fps.

Martin
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 9:54 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

ECC33s also have snake oil lubricated pins on the bases so that they can slip off into some steam punk bit of kit. Even the rectifier is not immune.
The HT is about 415 volts.
It is enough to send most ornaments onto the floor if you turn the wick up a bit.
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 4:59 pm   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Beware the rubber rollers. IIRC they are not solid rubber but have a rubbery coating on a core made of some kind of vulcanised fibre or similar material. I have one where the rubber has hardened and crazed like yours, and another where a chunk has broken completely out of the roller. I retired both machines from use, pending having time to make new rollers from scratch.

Also IIRC, the sound / silent lever inserts the idler between the motor roller and the mech drive hub, to effect the necessary reduction in speed. It's unrelated to the sound drum flywheel, which is just a regular flywheel and has no pre-acceleration drive.

I would definitely establish the viability of those rubber parts before investing time in anything else. AFAIK there is not currently a supply of replicas, as there is for that other troublesome 16mm drivetrain part, the B&H worm.
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 11:08 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

I sucessfully used household glycerine to soften the hardened and shiny rubber of the rubber-coated variable speed drive disk of my Eumig Mark M 8mm projector.
Old 25th Nov 2022, 9:35 pm   #7
phildil
Pentode

ISTR there was an interesting curved gate design on these machines that supposedly helped make showing warped film easier.

I've had three of them at various times - all gone now - anyway one thing to watch out for is the unusual oil bath: you'll see there are two small reservoirs connected by a pipe. This assembly will unfortunately often leak oil all over the amplifier.

cheers
phil
Closed Thread