UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2020, 3:11 pm   #1
craigie2k
Diode

Default Philips VCR N1500 - No Colour + Distorted Sound

Hi All.

I have one of these machines myself which was given to me by a secondary school where I used to work. Approx 5 years ago it was serviced by an ex Radio Rentals engineer called Ned, a good friend, who gave it a really good going over and replaced the loading mechanism.

I set up and run the machine every couple of months just to keep it going, but around a month ago, the colour suddenly changed to Black and White. Then a few days later the sound level became distorted.

I know a bit about electronics as I've worked on an N1700 changing belts, and cleaning heads.

I also have a 'donor' N1500 machine, and have swapped the component units U61 - U65, and also swapped the clock unit with circuit boards underneath to see if that did anything, but alas it didn't.

Sadly my friend Ned is no longer with us to help me with the faults 🙁

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light for me!
Or if there's anyone out there who still repairs these beautiful manchines, then please get in touch.

I've uploaded a video of the N1500 with it's problems to my YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOayY6XKNWo
Old 26th May 2020, 4:52 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips VCR N1500 - No Colour + Distorted Sound

Ned must have been a very good friend to attempt changing the loading mechanism!
I'd be tempted to look at the modulator, as that's where the video and audio signals are combined and converted. A slight misalignment here could cause the two faults you're describing.
Just a thought.
Old 29th May 2020, 7:50 am   #3
craigie2k
Diode

I'll certainly have a look at the modulator section.

Last night I was investigating units U66 and U67. . .two small removable PCBs underneath the unit, which was suggested on another forum, but all readings on the scope were amazingly accurate for a machine of this age!

So it's still a black and white picture for now, albeit a very stable and sharp one!

I remember working on a Fergy 3V32 which had some kind of 'modified' modulator with wires hanging out the back of the case, and when the RF was connected to the TV. . .it was all white-washed! No idea what was happening there, but with the wires removed and the modulator returned to it's normal self, everything was good.

On another note Ned's wife told me yesterday that she would like me to have all his spare bits of video gear and old radio rentals equipment! So I'll be picking them up next week (from a safe distance of course!) Maybe there'll be a hidden gem or some notes in there!
Old 29th May 2020, 11:46 am   #4
Snarf81
Heptode

I'll keep an eye on your Ebay page in case any of the spare bits end up on there. I'm always looking for useful spares to keep my machines going.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 9:06 pm   #5
Eidolon
Hexode

some great stuff on Craigie2k's Youtube channel. It's amazing that you managed to save all that stuff from the days of working in schools, a fair bit was probably wiped.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 1:14 pm   #6
Snarf81
Heptode

I'll take a look on his channel, cheers. Is it the same channel name as his username on here?
Old 10th Jun 2020, 10:35 pm   #7
craigie2k
Diode

Hi all. Just a little update regarding the N1500. After checking out all possibilities in relation to the colour and audio faults, I haven't come up with any solutions. I've decided to put it up on ebay, as I don't have all the necessary equipment to do a full check on it. A shame really as I was hoping a good clean throughout, a belt change and some tlc may have done the trick but unfortunately not. I hope it'll be of some use to somebody.

On another note I have been to pick up all of my old friend Ned's spare parts for the Philips VCR 'N' machines, and as well as these spare parts, I have also inherited a SONY 1810 U-MATIC VCR, a Philips N1502, a EUMIG 610 Cine Film Projector, and a few service manuals and notes. All these machines are non working so I'll be taking these on as future projects.

And thanks for the nice words on my YouTube channel. Some of those schools tapes are well over 40 years old now, and luckily they were well looked after!
Closed Thread