UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2020, 8:22 am   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default Young Engineer

Did any one see the news report of a young engineer, Diogo Martin, who is studying Electrical Engineering and is interested in vintage Radio? We need more young people like Diogo.
John
Old 31st May 2020, 9:01 am   #2
ChasHeater
Triode

Default Re: Young Engineer

I agree! I often wonder when we are gone who wil look after our collections. I’ve already told the family - it’s important to pass mine onto another collector, not just discard them, as no one else has the interest. Charlie
Old 31st May 2020, 1:00 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

There are a few around. I'm privileged to be in contact with one, who has an astonishing grasp on theory, building (and understanding) FM super-regens at 12 and exploring relative merits of pentode, cascode, and grounded-grid triodes as preceding RF amplifier.

Now at 13 she's been building step-up converter, 12V to 90V, using a tapped-inductor boost converter topology, eschewing off-the-shelf custom IC's and using a pair of 555's and a TL431 as reference/error amplifier, to produce a battery version of the super-regen.

However, this is on temporary hold due (a) to outdoors weather, and (b) her friend's Ford Fiesta has collapsed front suspension so she's replacing the suspension units after another friend (temporarily incapacitated with knee injury) removed the old after a struggle with rusted nuts.

There's hope for the future!
Old 31st May 2020, 1:16 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Once interested, the natural learning ability of young people is probably at it's peak. It's the getting them interested, against competing contemporary forces, that's the problem. Many members have commented on getting interested at relatively young ages, so it's not unheard of.
Old 31st May 2020, 10:10 pm   #5
Radio tirana
Pentode

I think there will always be a few young people who will become interested in technology from an earlier era. In my case it was my mother telling me about her father building crystal sets and encouraging me to try building one that started me off. I was still in primary school. later I met a few other children interested in similar things, we were a tiny minority and considered weird.

Kind regards RT
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:28 am   #6
rontech
Heptode

When I was very young we had box in the living room containing a whole load of old radio components my father had been using back in the mid 1920's These fascinated me and I would play with them often. Looking back they would have been from a kit build radio of the 1920's period. There was a crystal in a holder but no cats whisker.

Also some valve bases designed to screw onto a wooden board, a couple of Ferranti inter valve transformers in bakelite cases, tuning condenser, a few ancient valves ( 4 and 5 pin ) and two devices in round bakelite case with knob and graduated scale Had the name "Polar Precision" on the back.

Anyway that set me on a life long interest in most of the things discussed on this site.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 7:13 pm   #7
regenfreak
Heptode

The youngest? It is a Mullard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVWf6NnT1RI
Old 1st Jun 2020, 9:06 pm   #8
John10b
Nonode

Thanks for that, let’s hope she goes on into engineering. I was wondering if the young engineer in my first post #1 is on this forum, he does mention about getting advice?
John
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 5:06 pm   #9
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Student repairs vintage radios during lockdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...uring-lockdown

Student repairs vintage radios during lockdown

A teenager who restores and repairs old radios says he loves the "unexplained charm" and history of the wireless.

Diogo Martins, from Oadby, Leicestershire, has been able to spend more time on his hobby during the coronavirus lockdown and has added to his collection of vintage radios.

"Without a doubt many of these radios have a family history where families have gathered around to listen to music and information, and it's that history which I find so endearing," he said.

The 19-year-old electrical engineering student said in restoring them he is "continuing their legacy".
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 10:49 am   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Lets not forget Josh Ward - a great example of a young enthusiastic teenager who joined the Forum & since has became a well established & well respected member more than a decade later.
Back in my RAF instructor days, 50 years ago, the bulk of the electronics/avionics students were in their late teens & early 20's. It was heartening to see them soon pick up "hands-on" skills & eventually pass their practical exams.
Hopefully, once the virus restrictions are over, young entrants into the vintage radio fraternity can visit BVWS Swapmeets & other venues, & become acquainted with the broader Forum membership, face to face.

Regards, David
Old 4th Jun 2020, 11:37 am   #11
Stuart R
Heptode

Sounds like he will be interviewed on the Jeremy Vine Radio 2 show this lunchtime.

SR

(Diogo, not Josh)
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:01 pm   #12
mgwa1938
Triode

Default Jeremy Vine Show radio2 today

Just heard on the radio a 19year old will be on the show today talking about his now found hobby since lockdown
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:05 pm   #13
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Jeremy Vine Show radio2 today

Wow you were quick just heard it myself . Mick.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 11:39 pm   #14
JoshWard
Octode

Crumbs David, what kind words! My enthusiasm probably still surpasses my knowledge but I get just as much, if not more, pleasure from this hobby as I always have. I think there will always be people interested in vintage technology. Looking back I was 12 when I joined this forum and this is my fifteenth year on here! I do worry what will happen when the many experts who have a lifetime of experience move to the great workshop in the sky. The vast majority of what I have learnt has come from members of this forum who have painstakingly guided me through repairs on many occassions. Sadly, some of those people are no longer with us.
Closed Thread