UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2011, 9:21 am   #1
3D2BA Dick
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ancient Auto-dialers

Does anyone recall the title of an auto-dialer in use before WW2 ? It can't have
been very popular because the only place I saw one was on a B course at the Wylands, Shirehampton in 1944. Come to that, is there anyone still around who recalls the Wylands !

The dialer had a number of discs on a shaft rotated by a spring drum activated by a lever on the side of the box with a governor to give 10 i.p.s.

The discs had break outs for setting the numbers to be dialed so there was no D.I.Y. about it ! Impulsing contacts were slid along runners to select the numbers and these were written on a label on top.

Dick
Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:00 am   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

This one?

http://wiseworld.co.uk/Telephony/autodial.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	autodial.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	54031  
Old 17th Jul 2011, 2:41 pm   #3
bobsterkent
Hexode

Default Re: Ancient Auto-dialers

there used to be one on display when the BT museum was open in London. I had a line manager back in the 80's who remembered working on them and you had to snip out the teeth on the discs to re-create the number to be dialled. He complained that it always seemed to be laundries etc that used them and they were forever getting damp. Autodial number 1
Old 18th Jul 2011, 9:12 am   #4
3D2BA Dick
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ancient Auto-dialers

Thanks for the fine info. Those things must have cost quite a few quid to manufacture and I doubt if they made it back in rental charges.
Dick.
Closed Thread