UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2019, 12:24 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Analogue or digital? Sagem MY X3

Hi,

This may be in the wrong place, if so please move to where it should go.

I have an old Sagem MY X3 from 2003 and I was wondering if anyone knew whether this would be analogue or digital? I'd like to try get it working again, if digital.

I have read that it's works on the 900 and 1800 MHz frequencies, so I don't know if this is digital or not?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 1:05 am   #2
Clydeuk
Hexode

Default Re: Analogue or digital? Sagem MY X3

Quick google says GSM, so digital. The 2003 date would also tally with that. I don't think analogue phones were sold in the 21st century. It might be network locked though.
Old 2nd May 2019, 1:13 am   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you, I had no idea what to look for, unless it just said "Analogue" or "digital" I did wonder as I knew some mobiles started going digital in the 1990s, so it makes sense.

If I remember, the phone was a gift to a family member (who passed it on to me) so I don't think it will be, but I won't rule it out.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:55 pm   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

If you're not sure about an old mobile phone, look for a SIM card socket, usually under the battery, and an IMEI number. If the phone doesn't take a SIM card it won't work in the UK. Some very old digital mobile phones used credit-card size SIM cards; these can still be used.

Anyway, the Sagem My-X3 is a dual-band GSM (2G) digital mobile phone. In theory you can still use it, but you might encounter a few problems:

1. It will not work with "Three" SIM cards - these require a 3G or 4G handset.

2. The battery may not charge up. I have a method to revive dead mobile phone batteries, but it's a bit risky. I'll explain only if necessary.

3. The phone is very likely to be network-locked. This means it will only accept a SIM card from the network that originally supplied it. If there's a network logo printed on the phone (e.g. Vodafone, Orange, one2one / T-mobile) it will only work with that network's SIM card, unless it's been unlocked. In the UK, Orange and T-Mobile merged and became EE, but an EE SIM card may not work with some old pre-merger phones. If you can get the phone to switch on, try different network SIM cards and see if they work. If the phone says something like "Enter NCK" or asks for an unlock code, that network's SIM is locked out. Don't try to guess the code! You usually have only a few attempts before the phone is locked permanently. In theory, mobile phones can be unlocked, either by paying money to the network operator for the unlock code or by using a special cable and software, but for such an old phone it's not worth the hassle.
Closed Thread