UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2015, 3:23 pm   #1
David Dunlop
Pentode

Default Fullerphone Mk IV Accessories

I have a pair of these, made in Canada in 1943 by Northern Electric. Very good condition but with a postwar coat of glossy NATO Green paint on the boxes. Should not be a problem giving them a light sanding and repaint with the correct wartime flat green and redoing the white stencil markings.

However, a friend in England finally solved a long term mystery for me regarding the canvas carry straps for the Fullerphones. I always wondered what all the little loops and straps were for on the Fullerphone Carry Strap and he sent me the attached photo showing the history of the Ground Spike that was used with the Fullerphone. I have quoted his comments about this accessory as follows:

"They've probably been mostly melted down for scrap by now, but the basic design was still in service up to the 1990s and may still be around. (It did, however get dramatically cheapened over time.) Top to bottom: Modern (cheap & nasty) bent mild steel rod with sprayed zinc coating that comes off easily. Next two are 1942 Canadian manufacture to the original specification: machined square bar with the crosspiece made from some of the turned bar welded on and then ground flush with the sides, terminal is (I think) 2BA, properly countersunk and with a wire loop retainer for the knurled nut. Bottom one is WW2 British mass production, bent square bar but still with the properly fitted terminal.The mottled effect on the Canadian pins is the remnant of hardened preservative, the British pins are just oxidised, probably mostly from the blacksmithing process."

Never seen these items at flea markets here in Canada. Most people probably think they are tent pegs of some kind. I'd love to be able to find a pair of Canadian made ones, so thought I would post in case this accessory has been a mystery for others.

Cheers, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YA1152.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	112109  
Old 24th Jan 2016, 6:55 am   #2
David Dunlop
Pentode

Default Re: Fullerphone Mk IV Accessories

Talk about dumb luck!

A chum told me a couple of weeks back about a chap in Eastern Canada with some 19-Set equipment for sale. When I took a look at the website, a couple of Fullerphones were also listed, both complete with ground spikes. First I had ever seen anywhere. Even more surprising was a single ground spike for sale on its own at the very bottom of the listing.

When I contacted the seller, he advised he had several available so I ordered two. They arrived last Friday and were a matched pair, made by RCA in 1945 and 1955.

Happy Dance!

David
Old 24th Jan 2016, 11:10 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Fullerphone Mk IV Accessories

What incredible luck!
Closed Thread