UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2020, 2:09 pm   #1
soundondisc
Diode

Default Pioneer DVL 909 help required...!

Dear technical friends,
Is there anybody among you who has expertise with the innards of this wonderful machine?
Alternatively: Do you know of anybody I could contact..?
I've owned my DVL 909 for some 25 years and only use it very occasionally to save it from possible wear & tear because I simply love this marvellous piece of electro-mechanical machinery. Since a couple of days my mood is a bit down because all of a sudden my unit developed a fault. Switched it on and pressed the button to open the tray..... nothing happened.
I'm 79 years old, have done radio overhauls ( tube) tape recorder work and much more cinema technical work and what not, but here I'm completely out of my comfort zone....
Symptom(s): Switching on the unit with main switch, the display shows "STOP", whilst the blue led light is flashing. The "stop" sign disappears after a while leaving the blue led flashing. If I press the DVD or LD "Open" button the display says "OPEN" and diappears after some time. Other than that nothing happens.
When I use the remote to switch everything off, it says "OFF" in the display, still with blue flashing led and after a minute or so the red led in the on/off switch shows.
I've taken the main and rear cover off and have carefully inspected what was possible from every view point. Everything looks like new. The rear reader is parked in its rear position and the small reader unit is near the spindle.
So for me, looking into this complicated affair, it seemed a good idea to start and check the voltages of the power supply. Downloaded the sheet with the circuitry and started looking for a method to get the large tray out to gain access to the power pcb. Spent hours staring into this, saw that it's a "rack & pinion" transport where a white gear, behind the front engages with the rack under the tray. Cannot turn the white cam and am at my wit's end as how to get the tray out. And that would be just the beginning with a power supply check Will you please help me, because I really want this baby to cure from it's illness.
Thank you so much!
Stay healthy and the very best from Holland,
Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer_dvl-909_1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	202757  
Old 11th Apr 2020, 3:02 pm   #2
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Re: Pioneer DVL 909 help required...!

HI, as a little used unit it may be just stuck, turn it on and when it says open just try a slap on the top surface and it may just pop the door open, it works on my old DVD recorder which I hardly use, once it has opened once it seems to be ok for the rest of the time I want to use it. Also here are the service manual and the service guide, can't find one for the mechanisms though'

https://elektrotanya.com/pioneer_dvl.../download.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/37...r-Dvl-909.html
Old 11th Apr 2020, 3:18 pm   #3
ekjdm14
Banned

Am I right in thinking the blue light would normally flash while the tray was in the process of opening or closing?

That being the case, can you hear the loading motor running at all when you switch it on or press an Open button?

The symptom does sound to me that it could be simply jammed, or even more likely (in my opinion) the switch that signals the tray being closed has got dirty. (This assumes that the flashing LED signifies that the machine "thinks" the tray is open, since in the service manual the first operation at power-up is listed as "close tray", so if it thinks it's open then it'll simply sit trying to close it until it errors out/times out)

EDIT- it seems from the service manual that you may be able to manually/forcibly go through the unload/open procedure in test mode, perhaps try that if you can't access anything without the tray open?

Last edited by ekjdm14; 11th Apr 2020 at 3:28 pm.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 3:50 pm   #4
FIXITNOW
Octode

A few time i have seen this in various set it that the draw belt (assuming this uses one) gets set in to a fixed shape and then just slips as its a large pully and a small one and the belt becomes fixed in a pear shape if so best replace with suitable o-ring
Closed Thread