UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2019, 6:47 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Bawdsey Radar

Came across this:

https://www.bawdseyradar.org.uk/

relating to the first operational "Chain Home" RADAR installation.

Not that much technical detail - but it's a great example of "Public communication of science/History".
Old 19th Nov 2019, 10:21 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Bawdsey Radar

Thanks for posting that. I've followed the history of the Chain Home System, through to the Cold War period, since I started visiting the Sussex coast-Wartling etc. I'm not sure about the Website eg the Time Line but it seems a great place to put on the list. I'm keen to visit Suffolk at some point re the strange history/atmosphere of the County and UFO activity as well as the more tangible and technical Radar Development. ! knew were Bawdsey was but the site only mentions Suffolk twice, under Getting Here/Visit [of course] and then in the News section. I would have expected that to be more prominent!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Nov 2019 at 10:32 pm.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:44 am   #3
Nymrod121
Nonode

Gosh, it's a bit like buses ... two fellow CH enthusiasts turning up both together!
I've been researching quite a few sites:
Canewdon
Great Bromley
High Street (Darsham)
Stoke Holy Cross

Lots of photos on my Google Drive folder - PM me your preferred address & I'll email a shared link.
Best wishes
Guy
Old 20th Nov 2019, 6:46 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've pm'd the details Guy. This contact might not be so unusual as the recent excellent thread about the TV Festival in Birmingham turned up what seemed to be two people who share my interest in The Incredible String Band. I like synchronicities

Dave
Old 21st Nov 2019, 3:27 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Came across this:

https://www.bawdseyradar.org.uk/

relating to the first operational "Chain Home" RADAR installation.

Not that much technical detail - but it's a great example of "Public communication of science/History".
I have been to Bawdsey village, and could see the manor house where the project reached its final stages. Initially it started on Orford Ness and moved to Bawdsey. There was an excellent programme on television many years ago starring Eddie Izzard as Robert Watson Watt which briefly showed both locations of research.
My late father once worked on the Top Secret Research AWRE project in the 1960's (Cold War) also on Orford Ness.
There are a few books on the Radar, and some mention about the Weapon Research.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread