UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2020, 7:10 pm   #41
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Uher CR 240 AV Cassette Recorder

Not desperate yet but many thanks for the offer anyway

My last homemade PCB/etching work would have been > 45 years ago and vague memory tells me I did not do a very good job then

I most likely will try the Superglue route first just to say I tried it, appreciate that even if it worked, the repair probably would not last long for the reasons you outlined.

Also will look out for a suitable push button switch that does not break the bank.

David
Old 28th Jul 2020, 9:53 pm   #42
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post

You can slide them out after pushing out the little nylon pin at the back which prevents them from being pushed out of the front panel when the buttons are released.
The little nylon pin is not keen to push out, it is not moulded to the switch contact arm is it ?
Old 28th Jul 2020, 10:18 pm   #43
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

No, at least on mine none of the switches were moulded, just a tight friction fit (I suppose they wouldn't want them falling out if the machine's being carried around in the field!) I don't suppose they'd change the design as then it would be impossible to remove the switch without breaking off the knob, when spares were still available. With some magnification, or a close-up photo you should be able to see the two are separate pieces (or not!)
Old 28th Jul 2020, 10:41 pm   #44
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you, I will have a closer look and persevere, did not want to force it too much initially just in case.

David
Old 28th Jul 2020, 11:11 pm   #45
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Got the pin out and extracted the switch contact arm, apart from the break near the control knob, the rest of the contact arm does not look bad.

From the orientation of the contact arm as it came out and the matching alignment of the broken piece at the control knob it looks like the latching metal piece sits on the left hand side at 9 o'clock (as viewed looking at the front of the unit).

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200728_225919995.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	212118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200728_225119977.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	212119  
Old 28th Jul 2020, 11:41 pm   #46
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Oh that's a lot better than mine was! If you've got the metal there, there's a lot of 'meat' for the gluing to have a chance of success. Mine broke just in front of the pin, so there was nothing to hold the switch against the spring, which provides quite a lot of force. If you want to troubleshoot the operation of the rest of the machine, you can easily put in the contact section and nudge it back and forth from the back end until the 'record' light goes on or off, depending on what you're testing. If you need to get it out again, it looks like there's enough of the switch left to push it from the back and then catch the front with some needle-nosed pliers to pull it out. The switch repair will then just be the mechanical icing on an electrically sound cake.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 12:01 am   #47
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes I think it may have a reasonably chance of repair by gluing.

Is there any special technique of getting the switch contact arm latch plate to engage correctly in the latching mechanism or is it just a case of pushing the contact arm until it engages ?
Old 29th Jul 2020, 12:11 am   #48
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

It looks the same as mine, and it's just a case of pushing it in from the front until it stops. As the latch is raised by putting the box into 'stop' mode, you may have to do this or push away the latch with a probe. I think you'll find it quite self-explanatory when you realise the latch prevents 'record' being pressed or released accidentally, which is why it's more complicated than the latches on the other switches which are just push to make, push to break. The only difficulty (perhaps self-imposed) that I had with that bit was making the latch the right distance from the contacts so when engaged the right contacts were engaged. It looks like you won't have that problem as you won't be able to push the knob part too much into the switching part as there's enough remaining around the latch insert.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 5:52 pm   #49
DMcMahon
Dekatron

If it had been the smaller simple "Int" switch then there is the contact arm parts on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	212781  
Old 16th Aug 2020, 10:43 am   #50
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Just super glued the 2 broken halves of the Record switch contact arm, will fit it a bit later.

Before gluing pushed the 2 parts together and fitted in the switch body (without its spring) and tried to get the arm to mechanically latch when the control switch is switched to Record but unable to get to it to latch/lock at any position.

Cannot really see how the mechanism that moves when the control switch is moved to Record can latch the contact arm, although extremely difficult to see much at all. Will check it out further when contact arm is refitted with it spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200815_174146071.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	213593  
Old 16th Aug 2020, 8:06 pm   #51
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Let's hope it holds! Make sure the metal latch on the switch rod is facing the right way. Looking at the front of the unit, I believe it should be on the left, towards the other buttons. My notes say the contact closest to the knob is uppermost, which would support a left-facing theory.

You may have to push away the spring-loaded catch on the frontispiece to get the latch past it (though that may just be for pulling the switch out - I can't remember exactly. It'll be obvious if it's going in far enough to be flush with the other buttons). The order to make sure latching occurs is: joystick in 'stop' (upwards); press record in; while held in, move joystick to 'pause' (down). The record button should now be locked in. It works with no power applied as I've just tested on mine next to me. If you have the spring installed, the knob will pop out when you return the joystick to 'stop'. If not, you can push it out from the back as before.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 8:38 pm   #52
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Uncle Bulgaria. I have not yet had a chance to get back to it, but metal latch on contact arm will be on the left and first contact uppermost as you say.

The little metal piece that I can see moves on the frontispiece (not sure if sprung loaded) I cannot see how this can latch onto the latch part on the contact arm as it seems too far away.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 9:01 pm   #53
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Photo showing the contact arm most of the way in (no spring), joystick is at Pause.

The metal piece that moves down is nowhere near the contact arm metal latch piece, so either I am misunderstanding how it works or something is missing/not working correctly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200817_205514390.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	213764  
Old 17th Aug 2020, 9:33 pm   #54
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I think the yellowish metal plate links to the latch and locks it when the joystick is in neutral. The ramps on the plate mean it's lifted when you engage fast forward or rewind, and the record button will pop out if previously engaged. Push the record knob home so the undulating latch on the switch goes past the metal gate in the fascia. It can't go too far, and as you're using the existing switch it can't be out of alignment.
Old 19th Aug 2020, 10:27 pm   #55
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Been struggling trying to get the tiny white plastic retaining pin to fit back into the end of the Record switch contact arm, dropped the pin several times in the unit and now on last drop can no longer find it !

Looks like need to make/find an alternative.
Old 19th Aug 2020, 10:55 pm   #56
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Used a bit of stiff wire/cable as a temporary retaining pin replacement.

But cannot get the record switch to latch. With the contact arm removed I can now see a little brass piece (that is sort of spring loaded when pushed to the right) on the right hand side of the frontispiece/fascia and can see that when the joystick is pushed down that another metal piece then stops/locks the little sprung loaded brass piece from moving to the right.

But because the latch piece on the contact arm is on the left hand side, cannot see how the arm latch piece can be locked, if the latch piece on the contact arm was on the right hand side (i.e. arm rotated 180 degrees) then possibly could imagine that then it could be locked when the joystick is moved down.
Old 19th Aug 2020, 11:09 pm   #57
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Uncle Bulgaria, have you ever removed the little board assembly that the joystick mounts onto, looks like there are 2 screws that retain the board, wondering with it removed, might get a slightly better view of the latching gate mechanism.

But wonder if it is safe to remove, i.e. are there bits/springs/contacts behind it that fall out ?

David
Old 19th Aug 2020, 11:28 pm   #58
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Hold on, I'll take mine apart and have a look at the switch. I've got the top off anyway as the tape brake mechanism isn't working - on battery power it thinks the tape has ended while there's some tape remaining and stops playback.

Yes, from memory the joystick board can be removed without trouble. The mechanism is quite appealing, but doesn't have any springs or bits that drop off as far as I recall.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 1:16 am   #59
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Yes, you were right. Memo to self: don't rely on photographs of unreliable notes. The first contact is uppermost, but the metal switch latch is on the right looking from the front. I'm sorry for sending you down the wrong route!

I made a new pin from a filed down bit of PCB material.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 1:59 am   #60
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I got the pin in with needle-nosed pliers from the left. With the record button pushed a little in then the pliers can be aligned between the pins of the neighbouring board connector so they don't foul the pliers.
Closed Thread