UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2020, 12:08 pm   #1
dgw2020
Diode

Default International calls to the USA

Hi, I saw the attached pic which purports to show GPO operators at Faraday connecting international calls to the USA. The board they are operating has the US style keypad and not a GPO dial.
The US utilised MF signalling on their long distance network from about the 1950s. The ops connected calls via tone keypads with a start and stop MF command.
This video shows it in operation. https://youtu.be/oPM_j7p7YnQ

My question is would this have been the same for GPO operators dealing with calls to the US? Did they select an international trunk into the US network and key out the area code and local number in a similar way to the US operators or was it something completely different?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Faraday International.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	203016  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 4:06 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: International calls to the USA

Are you sure it's a US style one though?
I am no expert, but didn't some of our operators have a comptometer style keyboards for domestic traffic?
Old 15th Apr 2020, 11:20 pm   #3
198 kHz
Triode

The headsets, chairs, and VIFs (Visual Index Files) look like GPO style.
The desks look more modern than the ones I worked on, but that was in a provincial GSC, not Faraday!
Old 16th Apr 2020, 10:43 am   #4
dgw2020
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Are you sure it's a US style one though?
I am no expert, but didn't some of our operators have a comptometer style keyboards for domestic traffic?
Pretty sure it's a US style keypad - if you look very carefully (and I've seen this in other pics) against the 6 key, there is a label advising this is letter O and not on 0 like it was on some UK dials.

I'm just interested that if these calls were set up with MF signalling, it was probably quicker to make an international call to the US than it was to call the trunk operator and for her to pulse dial across the GPO network, even with STD!
Closed Thread