UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2010, 8:57 pm   #41
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Music-on-Hold...

Hi,
There is some information on the Norstar Compact here on Bob Freshwaters telephone pages, but I think that you mentioned that you have already looked there, you could try The Independent Telecom Network

Andrew
Old 11th Nov 2010, 10:10 pm   #42
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah, I've looked at that info page, if it weren't for that I'd have forgotten the connection box...

I've had a nosey round that forum, can't see anything relating to the installation and setup of a Compact system, I just want to know how it all goes together, where the lines connect and how to enable and disable lines that won't be in use...

I have feature code stuff, so that's not too hard to work out, it's just the physical stuff I need to learn...
Old 11th Nov 2010, 10:31 pm   #43
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
That's intriguing, cos the 308 I used had extension no's of 20 thru. 27, so line 18 didn't exist on that system...

Those for use in the UK, Number 21 - 28 for 308,and 21-36 for 616 .On honesty ,never heard of any other numbering scheme ( not even on Panasonic courses @ Slough) .
Old 11th Nov 2010, 10:42 pm   #44
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
....it's just the physical stuff I need to learn...
It's a while since I installed the (one and only) Norstar system that I did, looking at the picture of the connection box on Bob Freshwaters site it appears that the connection details are shown on the inside front cover, when you receive the system CCU post a picture of the connection box, even if it is just the Krone IDC strips and I'll try to assist you in identifying how to wire it, if you don't want to take this thread too far OT feel free to PM me for the details.

Andrew
Old 11th Nov 2010, 10:43 pm   #45
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

You could be right about 21-28, it's been a while since I used that particular system, about a year now infact...

My memory's useless...
Old 11th Nov 2010, 11:01 pm   #46
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
It's a while since I installed the (one and only) Norstar system that I did, looking at the picture of the connection box on Bob Freshwaters site it appears that the connection details are shown on the inside front cover, when you receive the system CCU post a picture of the connection box, even if it is just the Krone IDC strips and I'll try to assist you in identifying how to wire it, if you don't want to take this thread too far OT feel free to PM me for the details.

Andrew
Excellent point, the picture wasn't quite big enough for me to notice that label in the connection box (not got poor eyesight, but usually I can't see the wood for the trees!!), and I'll be getting pics for sure...

Just been cleaning up the M7310n, and discovered how easily the keytops pop off for the feature buttons, which was handy cos there were a couple of pretty grotty ones, shame I don't have any other keytops to rearrange the layout...
Old 12th Nov 2010, 1:40 am   #47
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
You could be right about 21-28, it's been a while since I used that particular system, about a year now infact...

My memory's useless...
Unless ,you might be confusing it with either an A series( e.g 309) or a SBS (A series derivative) ,which both start at 10 .
Old 12th Nov 2010, 1:45 am   #48
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
I think that CAT5 should be OK to use for the purpose that you are putting it too, the advice against using it for purely Telecomms work may be one of cost or possibly, but unlikely, noise immunity.
--
Andrew
Using four or more twisted pair cable to run multiple 'phone line pairs is generally frowned upon for noise reasons, I think.
My house is cabled in Cat6 LSOH (or will be when I finish it all!). I have run extra lengths to (modular) 'phone sockets next to the data sockets, so that the cable can be re-used in the future if required.
Old 12th Nov 2010, 1:54 am   #49
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I only plan to use the Cat5 for my system, which won't be connected to the phone line, might VOIP it, but I'm still thinking about that...

Depending on how the thing's wired up, I may only get 2 extensions per Cat5, I just don't know yet cos i haven't seen the connection box diagram...
Old 12th Nov 2010, 2:44 am   #50
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Actually, while I'm on the subject of wiring, is it okay to use Cat5 cable to wire in 4 extensions? I've often heard that it's safe to use, then told it's not safe to use, and vice versa ad nauseum, thought I'd ask where people should know for sure...
Never had any problems on other digital systems using one digital extension /pair , or one digital + one analogue per pair( and same on the few Nortels I put in ) .And that's on standard 8w telephone cable. Those that's had to identify cat5 individual cables in a run ,or out of a bunch on installation ( where the ends aren't properly marked) will tell you how hard it is to use conventional tone tracing kit on cat 5 .I'd say if it will handle data for a PC between two pair ,it'll handle four digital extensions . I wouldn't use it solely on cost ,unless I hadn't got any telecomms stuff around .
Old 12th Nov 2010, 2:58 am   #51
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I'm just being cheap, I have a load of it courtesy of Virgin Media and their self-install broadband kit, a pair of them infact, aswell as an amassed collection of various length patch leads and whatnot, so plenty of 4-pair cable to play with, but I do have a reel of 2 pair cable out in the workshop...
Old 12th Nov 2010, 10:34 am   #52
Station X

This thread has gone hopelessly off topic and now has nothing to do with music on hold. If you want to continue the discussion please start a new thread "installing a xxxxx PBX".

Thread closed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread