UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2020, 1:10 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Farnell PSG520, PSG520H and SSG520H Differences

Hi!

To help members differentiate between the three models, I've summarized the differences between them below:–

1) PSG520/PSG520H & SSG520 power supplies:–

The PSG520/PSG520H uses a dual mains/12V battery power supply with a power supply inverter plus an additional 12V centre–tapped push–pull primary winding to allow 12V battery operation.

A special three–pole on/off switch is fitted (similar to Thorn/BRC 1590/1591 type) to switch both poles of the mains plus one side of the battery supply.

The mains transformers are not interchangeable as the SSG520 transformer does not have the 12V winding for battery operation.

2) A three–digit DVM based on the CA3162E/CA3161E is fitted to the PSG520/PSG520H to show modulation depth/SINAD, etc., – the SSG520 has a moving–coil meter for this function.

3) The PSG520H contains an additional down–converter board for operation down to 100kHz, the SSG520 has no provision for this.

4) There are many detail differences in the board layouts between the PSG520/PSG520H and the SSG520 models, however the r.f. boxes are almost identical between the two different models!

Using the information provided by Member "robinshack", together with my instrument, I intend to write a more complete manual, which will be posted on here in instalments as I write it!

Chris Williams
Old 8th Aug 2020, 1:28 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Farnell PSG520, PSG520H and SSG520H Differences

I would be grateful for any specific information on the PSG520 as mine has an intermittent fault.

It's an odd one, for example if I have it set to 020.555.5 it will generate that frequency most of the time but occasionally 'loses' the last two digits and reverts to 20.550.0 without indicating 'out of lock'.

I have not tried setting it to something like 20.545.5 to see if that also swerves up to 20.550.0 or whether it falls back to the next lowest 'round number' 20.540.0

More exact information about that model would be a good incentive to try to fix it. It tends to be the SSG520 for which the exact diagrams and layout information are available, rather than the PSG520. Unless of course anyone knows differently?
Old 8th Aug 2020, 4:41 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Chris, I am sure that will be most welcome on here. A lot of work though.

Sirius, I have the original circuits, block diagram etc as bought from Farnell around 30 years ago. It is fairly basic and is not a full handbook. There are a few notes I made myself included.
Pm me if you want a pdf copy emailed.
Rob
Old 9th Aug 2020, 11:30 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Robin, just to clarify, the info you have is for the black-fronted PSG520, not the silver fronted SSG520?
Old 9th Aug 2020, 2:28 pm   #5
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Yes, the "portable" 12v or mains one.
Rob
Old 10th Aug 2020, 2:01 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Robin, info safely received via email, looks superb compared to what I had before, many thanks. I'll reply more fully to your email this evening.
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 2:59 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Bump: This is a busy section and threads soon get washed away down off the first page.

Just want to assure Chris55000 that I am still very interested in any supplemetary information he plans to post regarding the workings of these nice old signal generators.
Old 4th Sep 2020, 8:17 pm   #8
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The new PSG520 Manual project will get done in due course, as I have one of these units myself (the black–front one) with non–working frequency selection, and will be documented both in a purpose–written manual and as a case history chapter in Part 16 of my T & M book, a number of chapters of this are now in progress at the moment!

My grateful thanks to Robin for the PSG 520 info.

Unfortunately hospital treatment (nothing serious) is keeping me away from the laptop for a few days at the moment!

Chris Williams