UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2020, 3:12 pm   #1
John Earland
Hexode

Default Bakelite phone 300 series connection issue

Hi - hope someone can help. I converted an old 300 series telephone to work on the BT system which it did well. I then took out the dial and replaced it with a blanking plate so that it became an 'extension' type of phone. It continued to ring when someone phoned and I was able to answer it and all was working well.

Then several weeks ago we had to have BT install a new line into the property. All our other phones continued to work but this doesn't or rather it does for a few minutes then the whole household system is thrown into an 'engaged' position. When you call that's the tone you get. If I unplug this phone the other phones and the network is absolutely fine. I have several bakelite phones connected and they all work fine. Can anyone shed any light on what might have gone wrong? All the stranger since it was working until the new line.

By the way, I can dial out and receive calls through all the other phones except this one of course.
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 3:20 pm   #2
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Default Re: Bakelite phone 300 series connection issue

put the dial back and see what happens
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 4:36 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Earland View Post
I converted an old 300 series telephone to work on the BT system which it did well. I then took out the dial and replaced it with a blanking plate so that it became an 'extension' type of phone.
How do you currently have it wired, including what changes did you make when you removed the dial?

By the way, was there a particular reason for removing the dial?
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 7:47 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Surely this problem has arisen as a result of BT's work on the line?

Alan
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 8:31 pm   #5
John Earland
Hexode

I can’t remember more where I found how to do this-it May well have been via this forum! As I say it was working really well- nice strong ring, clear audio, then it stopped.

The phone was not in good order when I got it. It has a broken handset and a more modern plastic dial someone had put on it. I had a green handset so I decided to convert this into a replica Secraphone’ minus the buttons etc. And it looks great! Shame it’s stopped working. Can’t find the plastic dial-think I may have thrown it away. I shall have to take a look inside and take a photo of the wiring.
Closed Thread