UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:48 am   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Bit of a longshot

As per title. And one for the aged GPO/PO blokes, who might have access to the station codes for CEL 6/6A stations in the highlands. Anyone got a location for TRS OB/C OR OB/D.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 6:58 pm   #2
bc312
Pentode

Default Re: Bit of a longshot

I have a copy of the Directory of Repeater Stations (E-in-C 3210) from the 1960's which lists three Oban TRS's - Oban/A, Oban/B and Oban/E. These were staffed stations and terminals for TAT1 and Cantat cables. If Oban/C and Oban/D carried CEL 6A 4Mhz coaxial line systems, then they would have been unattended - and these were not always listed in the directory.
Might be worth contacting the Telecom Heritage Group (THG) who may have access to archives of coaxial line systems in the Oban area. From my transmission days with PO/BT, we didn't always wish to publish details of unattended buildings for obvious reasons. Sorry to be of no more help.

Mike

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Old 24th Feb 2020, 3:27 pm   #3
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Bit of a longshot

Thanks, bc .OB/A was the original TRS for oban exchange. OB/B was the TAT terminal buried deep in a hillside and fed via through routes to London International . Two of the routes were fed on CEL6 (6A?) , one via Inverness and the other via Glasgow. I'd then suggest that since CEL 6 unattended surface stations were ( from memory) placed at most circa 4 miles apart that both were so close to Oban as to be given Oban designations. that would leave the next TRS to be designated as OB/E which was the CANTAT UK landfall station, on the same site (above ground as OB/B).
From my transmission days with GPO/PO, I remember the security as even in the early 70's , photography around OB/B, was frowned on. What ,on reflection, amuses me is that whilst the equipment in OB/B was protected by large steel doors and clean air systems, no provision was made for welfare facilities within that area. And again, all the unattended stations were out in the open.
Closed Thread