UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 15th Jan 2024, 5:49 pm   #21
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Re: In praise of RS

I have used the Nuneaton trade centre a lot in the past when I lived in Rugby and have found the service very good.

Years ago, I was building some 12V overvoltage crowbar units for work which had a 0.1? resistor to limit the current a bit to blow the 12V supply fuse. This was a aluminium clad type and had R1 printed on it as the value.

The RS package arrived and I noticed that although the RS part number on the box of resistors was correct and tallied up with my BOM, I noticed the resistors had the value of 1R printed on them (this being 1?)

After telephoning RS, they were particularly concerned about the mistake and immediately checked their entire inventory of the metal clad 0.1 ? resistors, and sent out by special delivery (could have even been same day delivery, though I cannot remember!!), the correct value resistors.

That must have cost them significantly more than what the resistors cost!! I was impressed by their response.

Christopher Capener
Old 16th Jan 2024, 4:28 pm   #22
John10b
Nonode

I also remember the Radiospares rep visiting us back in the late fifties, he sometimes gave us a few samples.
These days for my small orders I use Cricklewood, excellent service.
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2024, 4:55 pm   #23
Red to black
Nonode

Before I had my own accounts with RS, CPC, SEME,CHS, HRS and Wizard I used Cricklewood, East London Components, Vista Electronics, Grandata and Manor Supplies to some extent, all advertisers within the pages of Television magazine.

I wonder how many still exist trading?
Old 16th Jan 2024, 5:10 pm   #24
Red to black
Nonode

Speaking of CHS their rep Alan Round (A.round) would blindly swear they had all the Sanyo/Hitachi spares in stock that could only be ordered from them to non-account manufacture holders only to find all the stuff I didn't really want eg. Philips memory batteries, aerial plugs, solder mop to pad the order out etc...etc would turn up no bother except the specific manufacturers spares I was really waiting for! such a card was Alan!

Ps. it was daft really because I would have had to order through them anyway as they were the only approved dealer for non accounts in those makes and I would still have had to pad the order out as well but it made me chuckle (sometimes ) the lying git

Ps. 2 likewise with SEME as the approved Panasonic dealer to non account holders

Last edited by Red to black; 16th Jan 2024 at 5:25 pm.
Red to black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2024, 9:44 pm   #25
Aub
Nonode

Do you still have to buy 500 diodes when you only need a few?

Aub