UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2021, 6:35 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Coughtrie bulkhead- mini version!

Having installed two of the classic Coughtrie bulkhead lights to supply a bit of period ambient garden lighting (coloured bulbs!), I managed to bag a third one on eBay. I was somewhat dismayed to discover upon it's arrival that it's a smaller version of the more common type. Who knew? I must admit I've never seen anything other than the standard versions, so this took me completely my surprise.

Has anyone seen this smaller type before? Annoyingly the two standard versions I have were acquired for no more than £2 each at car boot sales in recent years. Prices seem to have risen since then and I had to pay more than ten times that amount for this latest (mismatched) one. Whoops!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coughtrie.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	236013  
Old 19th Jun 2021, 12:09 am   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Coughtrie bulkhead- mini version!

I didn't realize they did two sizes, I installed one above the door of the 'radio' shed at home some years ago, I think it had a 60W max limit, but can't remember if it resembles your big or small one. Either way, nice items.

PS mine has 4 holes for the cover
Old 19th Jun 2021, 11:26 am   #3
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I can remember in the late 70s we used to see the small ones used in farm buildings. Pigsties Etc In those days people excepted a lot less light than we would today .
The lager version had the fixing holes on the outside. I’m not sure if the full range is still available but I believe they are still made . Make sure you grease the cover screws . On old outside fittings they often are so corroded they won’t come out.
Andy
Old 19th Jun 2021, 11:31 am   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

They do!

https://www.coughtrie.com/sp/
Old 19th Jun 2021, 11:55 am   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi Steve,

Nice to see some more Coughtrie lights in use! The ones you have there are the SY versions, the bigger one will be an SY10, and the smaller the SY6. The ones in the link above are the SP versions, they also come in SP10 and SP6 sizes, I have 2 SP6’s myself, one ended up as my bedroom ceiling light! The model number is normally on the metalwork around the edge of the glass. On the SP10 and SP6 you can normally tell the sizes by looking at the number of bands in the glass, 2 for the SP6, and 3 on the SP 10, but it looks like they didn’t do that on the SY series!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 19th Jun 2021, 1:22 pm   #6
broadgage
Nonode

I recall smaller bulkhead fittings of this style being fitted with coloured lamps and used for indicator lamps when these had to be seen over a distance.

Red for fire alarm, in addition to bells when these might not be heard in a noisy factory.

Yellow for various types of plant alarm, such as low water level, low boiler pressure, coal hopper less than half full, input materials to a continuous process running short.

Green I saw used to indicate that a "freight train has arrived in our works siding, designated staff to attend for unloading"

A flashing white light was sometimes used over a machine to show that the machine operator needed advice, instruction, or assistance from the foreman or workshop manager.

The smaller bulkhead fittings were usually limited to a 60 watt lamp, but this was often ignored for short term signaling use as distinct from long term illumination.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 4:02 pm   #7
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I've got a real soft spot for Coughtrie light fittings!

I haven't had much to do with bulkheads, because my all-time favourite is the FS-10, on the corner bracket (see pic)

It's just so aesthetically pleasing to look at, and does the job it's required to do so well.

My local church had one on the corner of the walls, above the car park - which was very dark on Winter evenings. It had pyro cable leading into it and did a fantastic job for about twenty-five years.

I was so cross when it was unexpectedly replaced one day with two 150 watt halogen floodlights (one on each wall of the corner) I really wanted to rescue it, but, apparently, the electrician took it away in his van! This was 2004, before LED had become a viable option for outdoor lighting.

No surprise there, then! I bet he sold it for a profit on EBay!

Or, being a bit more charitable, maybe he recognised what a lovely item it was and took it home to restore and cherish it.

I do hope so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wp_ss_20210619_0001 (2).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	236104  

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 19th Jun 2021 at 4:15 pm. Reason: Amend spelling and add photo.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 10:51 pm   #8
Tom williams
Pentode

I remember my secondary school having a coughtrie fittin with a purple bowl, think the model an sb15 or something to that effect, the school being built in the 1960s.

Tom
Old 20th Jun 2021, 10:29 am   #9
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Coughtrie bulkhead- mini version!

Hi,
I remember seeing those bulkheads strung along scaffolding with either red glass, or lamps where it was alongside a pavement.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 1st Jul 2021, 9:10 am   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've just watched the 1966 Peter Cushing film 'Island of Terror' (currently on the youtube FlickVault channel) and part of it is meant to be a laboratory complex in the cellars of an old mansion. Obviously a set, but the stone walls are adorned with what I assume are coughtrie bulkheads, to no doubt give an industrial, businesslike feel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iot1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	236851