UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2020, 1:23 am   #121
hillwalker
Triode

Default Re: Another Black & Decker Drill

Hello All,

Thank You all for our replies.

Yes, I had noticed the original different coloured paint.

Regarding the safety issue, it is an immediate family member who owns the drill, who has 30mA RCD Protection on all sockets, shed circuits and outdoor lighting circuits.

(Additional 100mA Time Delay RCD for cooker, immersion and indoor lights - TT Earthing System, installed to 16th Edition Regulations).

Kind Regards

Last edited by Station X; 4th Mar 2020 at 8:42 am. Reason: Repetition.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 1:40 am   #122
ajgriff
Nonode

More likely to be late sixties or early seventies then as the drill's serial number is higher than on Kevin's 1965 receipt.

Alan
Old 4th Mar 2020, 9:32 am   #123
vidjoman
Dekatron

The paint colour is probably due to 'proper' painting. It looks likely that the yellow is Zinc Chromate primer which 'used' to be applied to aluminium and other alloys before applying the top coat. A practice which seems to have been forgotten these days to save production costa.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 10:25 am   #124
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
The paint colour is probably due to 'proper' painting. It looks likely that the yellow is Zinc Chromate primer which 'used' to be applied to aluminium and other alloys before applying the top coat. A practice which seems to have been forgotten these days to save production costa.
Gold was the standard paint colour for B&D drills at one point (sixties?). See photo of an example. Hillwalker's drill was clearly given a coat of red paint at some time in its life. There are still traces of the red overcoat on the chassis plate.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gold B&D Drill.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	200193  
Old 4th Mar 2020, 1:34 pm   #125
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
I would just like to share some photos of a Black & Decker drill and if anybody could give me any more information on it.
That looks like a nice old drill.

There's been a couple of threads on old drills in the past, one of which I've linked to below. You could have added your drill pictures to it, but it's now closed due to the 6 month time out on dormant threads. You could always ask for it to be reopened if you wanted to add to it, but it's an interesting read anyway, even if you don't. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing an exact model of your particular drill shown in that thread.

As it happens, I was using one of my old 60s B&D drills outside yesterday between the rain showers, mainly because it's got a VERY naughty extra long mains lead attached to it, and I didn't want extension lead plugs and sockets coupled up out in the rain, and it did rain a bit while I was actually using it. However, I did have it plugged into an isolation transformer.

Link to previous thread on drills below:-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148750
Old 4th Mar 2020, 2:03 pm   #126
yesnaby
Octode

Is that the old 'hammer attachment' in the photo in post #11? I had one, nasty things, didn't work that well.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 2:38 pm   #127
ajgriff
Nonode

The photo was lifted from another forum but I believe the drill shown is fitted with one of those useless hammer action attachments.

Alan
Old 4th Mar 2020, 3:00 pm   #128
Techman
Dekatron

I've got one of those hammer attachments which I bought brand new at the time. I actually thought it was very good and I used it to drill through all sorts of brickwork, although I had nothing else to compare it with at that time. It's shown in the two pictures in post #36 and described in post #37 of the the thread that I linked to in my previous post #12 above.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 9:01 pm   #129
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Show us your drills!

Hi Folks, I knew the Electrical design engineer at the B&D factory in Co Durham.
The target life was only 500 hours, equating to 10 years of average DIY, so many of these machines have done very well.
I have several, including a large "gut buster" with rear handle.
I think as well as the hammer unit there was also the "safe D speeder" in a similar style that wirked quite well

Ed
Old 5th Mar 2020, 1:03 am   #130
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a two speed one from the early 1970s. It is painted grey and has had the circular saw attachment on it for so long that the original chuck has gone missing.
I know roughly where it is in my storage but not for easy access for photos.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 1:48 am   #131
emeritus
Dekatron

I still have Dad's Safe-d-speeder. They were not made by B&D. Mason Master rings a bell.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 2:52 pm   #132
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
I have got a two speed one from the early 1970s. It is painted grey
That sounds like it's the same as the one I was using outside yesterday. I don't think I've posted a picture of it on this thread before, so here it is complete with its very long mains lead - don't look too closely at that! The gearbox is a different colour, so could have been changed at some point. I was given it sometime in the mid 70s when someone died. It's a B&D 520 and rated at 270 watts.

Also shown is the RS isolation transformer that I use with these old drills - particularly when used outside when it's wet.

I'm down to my last several 5" sanding discs - sanding disc shown in the last picture. When I went into Wickes DIY last year, I was told that they are not stocked now - they didn't even know what they were. It seems like only yesterday when I last bought some, but on thinking about it, it was probably several decades ago - how time flies!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130594.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	200282   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130595.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	200283   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130596.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	200284  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 4:56 pm   #133
Refugee
Dekatron

That looks right.
The one I have got may well be blue/grey too.
If I spot where it is I will get it out and do a photo.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 5:11 pm   #134
The Philpott
Dekatron

My other half has a 2-speed B&D in two tone paint- i THINK it is chocolate and gold or chocolate and grey. I retired it for parts when i saw the 'green fire' visible through the rear vents.

Dave
Old 5th Mar 2020, 6:47 pm   #135
Techman
Dekatron

The chuck isn't the one that was originally on that drill, it was a much smaller one which I've still got. I think that the chuck now fitted was the one that was originally on the single speed all blue coloured drill that I bought brand new back when I was a teenager, and pictured earlier in this thread with a saw attachment now fitted. However, I removed the saw attachment that had been on it for decades when I fitted a flat orbital sander attachment (which also hadn't been used for decades, but I bought brand new) for some sanding that I had to do on the lid of that wreck of an HMV gramophone that I worked on a year or so back and was featured in a thread on this forum.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 7:06 pm   #136
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
I have got a two speed one from the early 1970s. It is painted grey and has had the circular saw attachment on it for so long that the original chuck has gone missing.
I know roughly where it is in my storage but not for easy access for photos.
Many years ago, my Dad bought a kit with the circular saw attachment and the drill. It was sold just as a saw, and had no chuck. It was on offer in Tesco, so worked out a cheap way of getting a drill as well as the saw. The chuck was bought from a local HW store.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 7:10 pm   #137
Refugee
Dekatron

I did find another chuck at the flea market but have not got round to changing it over.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 7:59 pm   #138

Quote:
including a large "gut buster"
Also known as a "man whirler" !

Old 5th Mar 2020, 11:09 pm   #139
Hampus
Pentode

However much I enjoy the look and sturdiness of these old drills, I must admit that I never felt comfortable using metal cased drills. I have such an old drill myself but much prefer the later plastic ones.

Sure, I do have many other metal-cased electric items at home as well, but a drill tends to lead a harder life than say a kettle or a toaster. And you often hold a drill with a firm grip, sometimes with both hands and sweaty palms.

They sure are beauties though.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 1:34 am   #140
Techman
Dekatron

I was using my original B&D D500, 290 watts drill outside in the sun this (yesterday now) afternoon, with the orbital sanding attachment fitted, powered through the isolation transformer of course. This is the drill that previously had the circular saw attachment fitted for the last four decades.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130602.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	200433   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130603.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	200434   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130607.jpg
Views:	106