UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2021, 6:06 pm   #21
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Nernst Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I wonder if a gas/paraffin mantle would work if scrunched up enough? I have some Tilly mantles I may give it a go in a moment of madness.
As per my earlier post, I'll be interested if these work! Thorium and cerium, as opposed to zirconium and yttrium.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 10:36 am   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I wonder if a gas/paraffin mantle would work if scrunched up enough? I have some Tilly mantles I may give it a go in a moment of madness.
As per my earlier post, I'll be interested if these work! Thorium and cerium, as opposed to zirconium and yttrium.
But not if they're the less effective current production ones!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Aug 2021, 8:37 pm   #23
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The radioactive ones are still available apparently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_qFWoa_HR4
Old 6th Aug 2021, 8:55 pm   #24
broadgage
Nonode

The correct active materials for a replica Nernst lamp should be available from any supplier of lab chemicals.
I presume that the materials would have to be compressed into a dense mass by use of a press.

Could the materials be contained in a Pyrex or silica tube ? need not be air tight, the idea being mechanical support not to exclude air.
Old 6th Aug 2021, 9:23 pm   #25
emeritus
Dekatron

Ordinary glass becomes electrically conductive at red heat: my school physics master demonstrated this by connecting a mains bulb in series with two metal bars held in two retort stands, balanced a glass rod on the bars, and heated the glass with a bunsen burner. As it approached red heat the bulb started to glow and got progressively brighter as the temperature increased. Red hot pyrex might provide a short circuit path across the glower.
Old 7th Aug 2021, 1:32 am   #26
broadgage
Nonode

Ordinary glass is indeed conductive at red heat, but Pyrex might be OK, And silica should be OK, thinking of silica covered electric fire elements.
Closed Thread