UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2010, 9:09 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default "Freecycle" ("Freegle") Groups

Occasionally forum members post messages offering things for free, such as printers, monitors etc, saying "if not taken it will go to the tip". Sometimes, though mild interest may arise, there's the hassle of distance involved, which may militate against the item being collected.

Similarly, you may need such an item, but the same problems arise - few members in your locality if anywhere on the forum who have what you want.

From time to time freecycle is mentioned, and I don't know to what extent forum members may understand how such groups work. I'm not of course suggesting that forum members divert their offerings/wants to freecycle in the first instance, but rather than take something to the tip with a heavy heart which could be useful, or to have a wanted posting not prove fruitful, it might be worth thinking about offering/seeking it on the local freecycle group.

In fact many "freecycle" groups in the UK have become "freagle" groups, for reasons which are irrelevant. fact is, that there's a local freagle group in most parts of the UK, with almost a million members in total. (The local group in Hull/East Yorks of which Im a member has more than 4,000).

So if you have an aversion to chucking stuff away - and I think by nature, most forum members do have such an aversion - it might be worth considering joining your local group.

It doesn't obligate you in any way.

In my experience, certainly the local group, is extremely well moderated. People can't just be freeloaders who take, take, take all the time - you can't have anything unless you've donated something.

The messages fall into three categories - Wanted/Offered/Taken.

Lots of electrical stuff such as PCs, monitors, TVs Hi-Fi, microwaves etc, end up on these groups as most charity shops (not all) won't take them.

If you'd like to know more about freagle groups and find out where your nearest one is, just go to this link:

http://www.ilovefreegle.org/groups/

Hope that's of interest and relevance to the forum.

Mods: I hope this is the right section in which to post this, but if not, do please shunt it!

regards,

David,
G4EBT
Old 16th Jan 2010, 10:12 pm   #2
Dickie
Octode

Default Re: "Freecycle" ("Freegle") Groups

Freecycle( or its derivative) in my area is very lightly moderated and is populated by givers, takers, and everyone in between. You can offer something one day, only to see it for sale at a car boot sale a few days later. It is common for someone to be very interested in something you've offered, arrange to collect it, and then never to be heard of again. If you offer something on freecycle you have to remember it's not charitable giving, you have no say in what happens to it. Which is quite correct according to the Freecycle ethos, which is to keep stuff out of landfill, not necessarily to give it to a deserving cause.

Having said that, I've got rid of a lot of stuff on freecycle and acquired quite a few nice items as well.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 16th Jan 2010, 11:23 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There you have the two sides of the arguement [in a way]. We've extracted a metal filing cabinet from a hut in a field, after a coat of paint it looks brand new within a newly painted office. A young couple were
desperate for my old rusty woodburner and could not believe their luck!
I've given and recieved 78's etc. At the end of the day any altruistic idea is always up against human nature and unprincipled individuals from the bottom of the pond but in general, tis better to give than to recieve-so I hear! If somebody takes advantage that's no reason to despair. Ironically I've yet to pick up any electrical kit but it is amazing how the most trivial items can be so usefull eg cardboard legal document boxes that might otherwise be binned, are not that cheap to purchase and that someone takes the trouble to offer. Generally speaking, it's a win win.
Dave W
Old 16th Jan 2010, 11:35 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
In fact many "freecycle" groups in the UK have become "freagle" groups, for reasons which are irrelevant. fact is, that there's a local freagle group in most parts of the UK, with almost a million members in total. (The local group in Hull/East Yorks of which Im a member has more than 4,000).
The various Freagle groups have arisen because some UK Freecycle moderators fell out with the global organisation and walked away, taking their mailing lists with them. They are a minority of Freecycle groups even in the UK.

In general, people will find that they have either a Freecycle or Freagle group locally, but not both. In practical terms it makes little difference.

Like David, I would encourage people to use Freecycle rather than dump stuff. If you live in an area with a large group, practically anything will find a taker.

http://www.uk.freecycle.org/

Paul
Old 16th Jan 2010, 11:35 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

I'm a member of two groups in two countries, one well moderated the other a shambles. The good experiences outnumber the bad by far. You'd be amazed what people are prepared to come and get, so don't hesistate to put stuff on there. In the last 6 months I got shut of a load of old CD covers, inkless inkjet printers, even a grotty old electric oven, and got a nice amp and an AIWA 3 head tape deck. I even got my Akai 4000DB from there in the early days when group was not so well known.

And you can have a laugh at the occasional chancer asking for playstations, gold or even cars!
Old 17th Jan 2010, 12:13 am   #6
Sammyboy
Retired Dormant Member

I use Freecycle a lot, both for getting stuff and giving things away. I've given away printers, digital cordless phones, furniture and some electrical items and received a colour laser printer (albeit with a broken paper tray!), laptop (needed repair but got it working) and of course my Pioneer tuner/amp, (broken) cassette deck and Mission speakers, sounds great and even sweeter knowing they were free! Like many on here, I hate throwing things away and offer all manner of stuff on there as I hate the thought of it going to the tip, especially if it still has plenty of life left in it.

Sadly on my local Freecycle there isn't many vintage radios coming up apart from the odd radiogram, there's currently a '70s Sony amp and tuner along with some Wharfedale speakers on there but think my wife would kill me if I got any more audio gear!
Old 17th Jan 2010, 12:26 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Another thing that I forgot to mention earlier: I think the freecycle thing works best with relatively small or medium size groups, you tend to find on the bigger ones, stuff (especially electricals) gets snapped up the moment it is posted. I think I have got less as the groups have got larger, but even then you still get lucky.
Old 17th Jan 2010, 2:35 am   #8
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
you tend to find on the bigger ones, stuff (especially electricals) gets snapped up the moment it is posted.
Anything described as faulty or not working will get many fewer responses and you are much more likely to be lucky. These items often have trivial easily repairable faults. The Marantz PM-66SE amp which I use as my main hifi amplifier came from Freecycle - described as dead, it just had a blown main power fuse, presumably as a result of one too many student parties.

Paul
Old 17th Jan 2010, 9:47 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've been using freecycle for a few years now, as there are five groups in locations within ten miles of me.

Generally I've given more than I've taken but as far as radio stuff went, I collected a car-boot full of components from one guy, R, C, relays, chokes, LEDs, zeners, all in those RS clear plastic drawers. Enough there to cost £££'s.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 9:17 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
stuff (especially electricals) gets snapped up the moment it is posted.
You don't have to give it to the first reply if you don't want to. I usually wait a day or so, then if there are a few replies decide who to give first refusal to, usually based on the politeness of the request. I find that a polite and readable request often works for me too.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:32 pm   #11
ben
Dekatron

I was commenting more on general freecycle tendencies. Personally, when it's me offering stuff, I do tend to wait a bit as you say, then decide.
Old 19th Jan 2010, 11:52 am   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Quote:
stuff (especially electricals) gets snapped up the moment it is posted.
You don't have to give it to the first reply if you don't want to. I usually wait a day or so, then if there are a few replies decide who to give first refusal to, usually based on the politeness of the request. I find that a polite and readable request often works for me too.
Our local freegle group (as it is now) is really well moderated, and encourages a "Fair Offer Policy" (FOP). The rationale and guidance on this from the organiser of the group is as follows:

Quote:
While it's great to see so many quality offers, it can be frustrating to see an item you feel you could really make use of, that has been offered and already taken by the time you see the post, maybe because you only have access to email at certain times of the day.

I also know that there can be a concern that there may be a small number of people who always jump on the great offers immediately after they have been offered, so that they are 'first in the queue', knowing that in many cases people will offer the item to the first person who responds. We have had some complaints from members recently about this
method of passing items on.

While it's completely up to the individual how to pass on their items, I would like to propose an easy and alternative method of making your offers, that I think puts everyone on a level playing field.

The method is called FOP (Fair Offer Policy) and by putting FOP at the end of your subject line it states that you are willing to wait a period of time (totally your choosing, maybe 8-48 hours) before making a decision on who to make the offer to, thereby giving everyone who would like the item a chance at being successful and taking the emphasis away
from being fastest on the 'reply' button.

While I say again that this method is completely optional, hopefully you will think it's a fair policy for all concerned.
I've not used the group much of late, and have never used it to gain stuff or post a "wanted" message, but I've used it to get rid of such things as TVs, printers, motorbike gear, electrical fittings, concrete slabs, all of which would otherwise have gone to the tip.

The items invariably been greatly appreciated by recipients, who've often given me something such as a bottle of wine as a "thank you".

Often, on the local group, decent clothing is offered, such as little worn school uniforms, or good quality toys such as Fisher Price, which I'm sure can be helpful to anyone who is down on their luck.

I'm sure that some of these groups will attract a seedy element of car booters and sundry scroungers, but the local one doesn't have that feel to it at all. Anyone who is a taker - not a giver, or who offers worthless items and takes only valauable ones would soon show up in the postings and would be put on notice or shown the door.

As we've seen with this forum, the key to success is good moderation!

After a while, posters get the flavour of things, so moderation only needs a light touch as people self-moderate within the rules, and when they stray, it tends to be from ignorance rather than intent.

At which point, maybe the forum moderators will feel that this topic has run its distance!

The bottom line is: only take stuff to the tip as a last resort - whatever the item. I think most of us by nature, are alrerady signed onto that concept.

Regards,

David,
G4EBT
Old 19th Jan 2010, 2:22 pm   #13
FIXITNOW
Octode

i am in one of each Freecycle and Freagle as i live/work in an overlap i use it to colect all sorts of electronic to fix and always put a disclamer on the bottom saying most item cost to repair so may be sold on to cover repair cost (some goes back on to one or the other group fixed)
i have had load of tv's the odd good bit of hifi and the odd old radio
the repair side keeps me in pocket money
vince
Closed Thread