UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2004, 5:09 am   #1
radiograeme

Default Bakelite restoration

I am an Englishman living in Indonesia. I collect old Dutch make valve radios here, mostly Erres, Philips and NSF.

Can anyone recommend a good method of polishing up dulled dark brown bakelite cases? Some of the old sets have a dull matt look and I'd like to bring them up shiny.

Also, is there any way to take out scratches?

Any advice gratefully received.

Kind regards, Radiograeme

Old 28th Jun 2004, 9:00 pm   #2
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bakelite restoration

Given where you live - tropics, humidity, damp etc, it may well be that the Bakelite, which has a porous inner, has absorbed a lot of moisture. If this is so, it may be difficult to properly restore, especially if the outside surface is damaged or thin.

Try and use non water based cleaners. They tend to make it worse. Suggestions in the past have been Brasso (it's not water based) and then a good quality wax polish. (or Polishing Paste No. 5? otherwise known a Bake-o-Brite)

Steve J

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:04 pm.
Old 28th Jun 2004, 9:18 pm   #3
paulsherwin

There are lots of different opinions, but it generally boils down to the following:

1. If the bakelite is really filthy, clean it with detergent (foam cleaner is good) and let it dry thoroughly. Ideally you don't want to wet it, but if it's really bad you've nothing to lose.

2. Carefully rub it down with a mildly abrasive spirit based cleaner. Good mild ones are Brasso and T-Cut (used for rubbing down car paintwork). Car chrome cleaner is a bit more aggressive, and most abrasive are products sold to rub water marks from polished wood surfaces. I wouldn't use anything stronger than this. The less abrasive polishes are more work but give a better result if the bakelite is in good condition.

3. Polish with finishing wax as with polished wooden furniture.

Scratches will be less obvious at the end of this but won't disappear. If the surface is badly scratched you may want to consider spraying it dark brown with car paint.

HTH, Paul

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:05 pm.
Old 29th Jun 2004, 9:06 am   #4
radiograeme

Thanks chaps for that useful info. As I can get Brasso here I'll try that first on a small section on the back.

Thanks again!

Radiograeme

Old 29th Jun 2004, 1:11 pm   #5
Lowemission
Tetrode

Shoe polish, Brown, Tan etc. I know some don't agree but personally I've found it very good for bringing back the shine to Bakelite that has long lost it's original finish.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:06 pm.
Old 8th Jul 2004, 4:07 am   #6
Norm_Leal
Retired Dormant Member

Once cleaned bakelite may look dull. One coat of wax may not be enough to bring back the gloss. Usually a couple does the job.

Norm
Old 8th Jul 2004, 1:32 pm   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I agree with Lowemission, shoe polish works the best, 2 or 3 coats works great. I've tried everything, funiture polish, beeswax, car polish but nothing buffs up like shoe polish. An ox-blood colour is excellent for burgandy bakelite.

When cleaning a case I use white spirit, water is bad!

I have used brasso but only if I really need to. Bakelite is very strong and robust but the top gel coat is NOT! be carefull with abrasives

Do NOT use anything alkali it will ruin the finish for good. (I believe Brasso is slightly alkali)

David
Closed Thread