UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2009, 10:16 am   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Removing SMD electrolytic capacitors

A tip I learned from a Philips dealer friend of mine for removing this horrible little things is to use two soldering irons, one on each pin. This minimises the risk of damage to the PCB.
Old 29th Jan 2009, 12:01 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing SMD electrolytic capacitors

Hi Michael,

Don't you then need a third hand to lift off the cap, though? And it rather assumes that you have enough precision in your non-writing hand to wield an iron accurately - I'm not sure my left hand would be up to it!

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 29th Jan 2009, 1:35 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

No, if your hands are steady enough to do both joints at once, you just use the pair of soldering irons as tongs to pick the beastie up with.

FWIW I don't think that some of the cheaper SM rework hot tong type kits are THAT expensive.

Chris
Old 29th Jan 2009, 5:41 pm   #4
f.cooper
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
The method of using 2 soldering irons was used in the rework department of the manufacturing company that I worked for. Using this method though do not bank on being able to reuse the component. One thing to be wary of is the possible pressence of a small dab of glue underneath holding the component to the pcb, it may or maynot still hold the component.

Regards Fred G0BYU
Closed Thread