UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2021, 8:14 pm   #21
Peter F4VSA
Tetrode

Default Re: Joining coax cable

Just to add my thoughts, I would always splice rather than use connectors. If possible I hold both ends in a vice to correctly position the centre conductors and then solder them. Heatshrink to insulate them, drape the outer braid over the top and then solder. Water proof the whole lot with adhesive lined heatshrink. This should last for 20-30 years if good heatshrink used, it certainly did when BT used the technique ( I helped design and introduce it!). The very short mismatch over the joint should not be problem. I have used adhesive copper foil, soldered over the joint, before to maximise shielding. Might not be suitable for high speed digital communications due to reflections though

Peter F4VSA
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 1:16 pm   #22
richard.cs
Triode

A reasonably well-made splice will be no worse an impedance discontinuity than a pair of PL259s which are pretty far from 50 Ohms and a similar length. It's probably easier to waterproof the splice (I like glue-lined heatshrink here) and the braid connection will be better than in most PL259s.

That said, I like N connectors, they're waterproof when mated, generally better build quality, and are impedance controlled. Since there's probably value in being able to disconnect at that location in the future I'd use N connectors as others have suggested.

N connectors > Splice > PL259

Personally I don't use PL259 for anything, equipment which has them either gets modified or lives with a permanently fitted adaptor.
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 3:15 pm   #23
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi splice done right is ok (not covered in sticky insulating tape) ptfe is ok or n type for me Mick
Closed Thread