UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2021, 10:40 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default A successful damaged SMD inductor repair

I don't normally work with SMD components as they are so tiny and difficult to assemble. However, I recently repaired an active antenna that was damaged in the post. An SMD inductor core was broken. I managed to negotiate a partial refund, but rather than send the item all the way back to China, I attempted the repair myself. I am not sure how they do this in the factory, but unlike the other components, the solder terminals were hidden under the inductor. I flooded it with solder from the side trying to get it to make contact with the solder pads and this did the trick. I did not have any SMD inductors, but was successfully able to solder a full size inductor as a replacement.
The antenna is BF998 based and works quite well after the repair. The main unit is small enough to fit into a Smarties tube, to the bottom of which I have fitted a PL259 connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210405-WA0004.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	231017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210405-WA0006.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	231018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210405-WA0005.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	231019  
Old 6th Apr 2021, 6:10 am   #2
Radio1950
Hexode

Default Re: A successful damaged SMD inductor repair

Well done.

I have used small "through hole" inductors to replace SMD types.
Bend one leg back and mount vertically onto the solder pads like you have.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 4:20 pm   #3
Jolly 7
Octode

Thank you.
Given the minute size of SMD inductors, I wonder if exposure to hot air during the assembly process could adversely affect the electromagnetic properties of the ferrite cores ? It would seem that the whole component rather than just the leads are being exposed to very hot air.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 7:20 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

Well done, and very satisfying I am sure!
I think that the SMD soldering process uses carefully controlled "ramping" of the temperature up and down so the components should not suffer during the process, and there should be no temperature differentials to cause bad joints. But any failure in this ramping would certainly stress a crystalline object like a ferrite.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 10:43 pm   #5
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Kudos to you! Very neat result.

That must be satisfying! I've been honing my SMD skills over the last two years so I don't get left behind!
Old 7th Apr 2021, 12:11 am   #6
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I hope to post some pictures of the assembled antenna, power unit etc. under Homebrew Equipment in the next couple of days.
Closed Thread