UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2016, 12:47 am   #61
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Amateur Licence.

Too easy to get sucked into a general moan, but why don't we do something about it...

Start a campaign for real QSOs.
Start a net for discussing interesting things, a welcoming net. A counter to the 'shove off, you are not DX!' culture.

I can't see it running with absolute regularity, but an agreed frequency, a morning time and an evening time to try a call if you can might create some traffic with more value than just a serial number.

David GM4ZNX
Old 1st Aug 2016, 1:04 am   #62
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I passed the exam in 93 but have never held a license [different topic]. It's not really defunct vintage technology in my opinion as the "amateur" approach demonstrably comes to the fore in a crisis or where there is no digital platform
eg Hurricane Katrina.

The Internet is invaluable but overall... someone else always controls the "server" and in fact the whole system, in the same way that Forums have an owner really.
Amateur Bands have a different sort of independent history [as I understand it].

I really did wonder if the interference question might be a very relevant factor these days, re a decline in the use of the amateur spectrum as mentioned or is it just a lack of interest/mortality?. I seem to recall though that ongoing discussions by QSO weren't always that fascinating, accessible or enlightening [in my opinion].

I was intending to comment on those DSP units, simply because I recall that they originated from here in Bexhill but I try to avoid setting up more threads than necessary if possible ie QRM DSP etc!

Dave W

"Drifting Too Far From Shore" Bob Dylan
{Knocked Out And Loaded 1986]

Last edited by dave walsh; 1st Aug 2016 at 1:16 am.
Old 1st Aug 2016, 7:51 am   #63
G4YVM David
Heptode

I am exclusively cw on hf and I find many stations want proper conversation qso. The problem I find is that when speaking to foreigners their grasp of English might be no better than my grasp of their language. I was out/p in Friday and chatted to a chap called Yann in Lille about life and my location (historic site) for half an.hour or more on the key on forty m. All good fun

I don't think we need a net to chat, just need to start chatting and asking a question I guess. Anyway, I'm always up for a conversation if you hear me on.

David.
G4YVM.
Old 1st Aug 2016, 8:49 am   #64
Aub
Nonode

Hi all,

I don't go on the air much these days but that's my fault for not finding the time. I do listen though, but mainly to the AM net on 3.615 Mhz each morning from about 7.30. There is also the VMARS AM net on the same freq at 0830 every Saturday.

I have never owned an SSB rig and only use AM or occasionally CW. My transmitter is homebrew and I use an AR88 as the receiver. I hate contests and I'm not bothered about "DX". There is still a Sunday morning 160 metre AM net in my area, but I have no aerial for that just now. I'm not a total dinosaur though, as I use web enabled SDR http://www.160m.net to listen when I don't want to switch the AR88 on.

Each to his own.

73, Aub G4KQL
Old 1st Aug 2016, 9:47 am   #65
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I think there has been a general decline in enthusiasm for amateur radio for all the reasons mentioned and of course it used to be the only free means of communication over long distances, with the arrival of the internet many people don't see the need anymore.

There was a considerable surge of interest in the early days of CB as band conditions were good and it was possible to cover vast distances on 4w and people discovered that radio communication was interesting, practically every adult education centre was doing RAE courses. Most of the G4 call signs were mopped up in a very short time and a lot of the G0s. you had difficulty finding a clear channel on 2m, now you rarely find a busy one and most of the G4s seem to have dissapeared.

I must admit that my use of the radio is nothing like it was but I still go one and if anyone would like a sked I am quite happy to oblige, just PM me with a frequency and time.

Peter G0HET
Old 1st Aug 2016, 12:15 pm   #66
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cap View Post
Kids today just want to play with keyboards and the PC, none are interested in building anything unless it uses an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.
Don't blame today's kids - they are just a product of today's times. I got interested in amateur radio as a progression from tinkering with domestic radio sets (that were tinkerable with) to hear distant (offshore) pirate stations and because being able to communicate instantly over long distances (or even to the next town) seemed fantastically exotic. My recreational interests were far different from my parents' who in turn were products of their time - all this electronic paraphernalia was alien to them to whom the term Radio Ham immediately conjured an image of Tony Hancock.

In the days where the internet, smartphones and facebook are ubiquitous, everyday amateur radio as many of us knew it 30-40 plus years ago is as old hat as travelling the length and breadth of the land behind a steam engine*. Unless you have the exceptional technical ability required to be at the current cutting edge of amateur radio there is little excitement to be had. And SMPS and PLT QRM, planning issues and neighbours' complaints about aerials and the potential of interference to them do not help.

I felt the times were changing in the mid to late 1980s. I remember regular nets on 2m where we had conversations from the technical to the vaguely banal and all of us, of varying levels of ability and age, were experimenting with this and that in an effort to make our stations better and because we could. Some of us were in the electronics or TV trades but many of us (me included) were not. Soon, a new set of amateurs arrived from CB and I felt I didn't have a lot in common with them on several levels. When one not so very recent new licence said to me that our QSO was "the most technical conversation he had had" - I had vaguely discussed the merits of a beam aerial I had constructed myself - I realised that the amateur radio world was changing. One by one my old friends moved on to other things, as did I, and my station fell into disuse was mothballed.

Today amateur radio kit is just another plug in and go consumer appliance. This holds no great appeal for me and it is only the vintage stuff that has rekindled my interest, however, as I am 'of a certain age' I realise that a large part of my rekindled enthusiasm, along with my affection for classic cars and steam railways, is a trip down memory lane. I daresay that today's youngsters 40 or 50 years on will look back with similar affection at their iPads and Raspberry Pis. (Whether they will be working or usable may be another matter.)

*The other day I was reading a steam railway magazine where there was a letter that questioned the sustainability of heritage railway operation given that so much of the current expansion and operation is down to spotters and enthusiasts now of a certain age.
Old 1st Aug 2016, 2:40 pm   #67
Wendymott
Octode

I totally agree with David GM4ZNX..... I listen on 40m and mostly its either QRM or CQ Contest, which amounts to the same thing.. although I admit, I am never in the shack before 11am, so I may miss "nets".
In the "old" days there were plenty of nets where good tech discussions were held, and as with me now.. my 40m ssb rig is nearing completion, but will not be powerful enough to join the ratrace running 400w.
Last sunday there was an IOTA..= "Islands on the air" contest......very few stations on.. or received...but I understand conditions are poor at the moment.
Lets hope by the time my rig is up and running, conditions will have improved and there are amateurs that can chat intelligently about radio and not squares.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY

Last edited by Wendymott; 1st Aug 2016 at 2:42 pm. Reason: Typo error cannot spell radio..
Old 1st Aug 2016, 2:55 pm   #68
Wendymott
Octode

I refer to Grahams (Bottlemans) comments re QRM. When I was in the "trade" I had a lot to do with EMC testing and approval, and I can tell you with certainty EMC radiation and Susceptibility are tested to virtually DC. THe first test of a TV sample was "Conductive" test where a LISN wasa in line with the power lead and the Lisn was connected to a Rhode n Shwartz Test receiver, which was swept from DC to over a gig.
Next was the susceptibility test involving a TEM cell, which is a feed horn with the TV placed inside it, then a large signal is fed to the TEM cell and is swept over the range, but trapping out some critical frequencies such as Colour ref, and sound carrier. Signal were then fed in via the various sockets.. eg SCART, CVBS, and other inputs. If any patterning was visible or measured... then the product failed..
Usually EMC testing for one TV was about 8 hours, and more if problems were found. I have seen me and my colleague getting back to the base at 2 am after a long day .

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 1st Aug 2016, 3:48 pm   #69
raditechman
Heptode

I try to have at least one QSO every day.
I thought there was plenty of activity on IOTA at the weekend.
I am still trying to get obscure WAB squares.
Lets encourage the new licence holder, yes there is QRM, so try and get around it.
In my area with have a local Top Band net every Sunday morning which has been running since the 1960's, mainly SSB now but some members using AM. That is part of the fun and privilege that we enjoy.
That net has been growing recently and often has 14 or more calling in.
We also have a local 80m net on Wednesdays.

The local 70cm and 2m repeaters are much less busy now. However they are still there and do not get the abuse that was once common.

If you are really blocked out with QRM there a several digital modes now available, -as a last resort!. I have D-Star and am considering Fusion.
I guess Morse Code was the first digital mode!. That will also get through a lot of QRM.

What has happened to the BVWS net (40m) that was proposed some time ago?

Come on guys amateur radio people helped lead the way with new developments once!

John
Old 1st Aug 2016, 6:56 pm   #70
BottleMan
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
I refer to Grahams (Bottlemans) comments re QRM. When I was in the "trade" I had a lot to do with EMC testing and approval, and I can tell you with certainty EMC radiation and Susceptibility are tested to virtually DC.
I thought I had better check up (terrible memory) on the test limits for products like computers and TVs, etc.
For radiated emissions they have to meet EN61000-........, Class B limits.
• 30dBuV/m quasi-peak for 30-230MHz at 10m distance (CISPR 22 Class B)
• 37dBuV/m quasi-peak for 230-1000MHz at 10m distance (CISPR 22 Class B)
For conducted it goes from 150KHz up to 30MHz.
So - no apparent intentional limits on what these products can radiate below 30MHz. And I don't remember having any commercial product tested for radiation below 30MHz.
Graham
Old 1st Aug 2016, 7:48 pm   #71
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

G4MDC hit the nail on the head when he said that the 'paid-for' licence was more valuable than the free one. I understand that the majority of licencees opted during the consultation process to retain the licence fee, but the RSGB thought they knew better. As they also did when they instituted the three tier progression-based licence, with no alternative route to a full licence for those already qualified - professional electronics engineers have to start at the bottom, which I'm sure limits the appeal of the licence to just those people we seem to be short of.

There are many other RSGB-inspired changes that, in my view, have had unintended and negative consequences, such as the 12.5kHz channelisation of the 2 metre band, compulsory CTCSS on repeaters, and so on. These were allegedly introduced to improve the overcrowded bands, and they've been so successful that most statiions simply don't bother any more.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 10:14 am   #72
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The 12.5 Mhz channelling was a good idea at the time as it was sometimes impossible to find a clear one but it was short lived as interest declined rapidly after it was adopted.

2m or 70cm is probably a good place for newbies to start as there is little or no noise on it, on FM anyway but I understand that their are digital modes now - which I don't understand, I grew up with valves.

There is still some interest among the younger generation but whether its enough to sustain the hobby remains to be seen.

Peter G0HET
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 11:04 am   #73
Skywave
Rest in Peace

My sentiments on this topic are much in line with what Junk Box Nick has written in post #66.

Al.
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 11:36 am   #74
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

2m was a good place to start when I started. No channels, just geographic lumps. Each person had a couple of crystals, and used either AM or FM. You called CQ then tuned around to see if anyone was replying. All my station was homebrew apart from the antenna.

Then channels came in. I bought a TR9130, but within a couple of weeks stopped operating. No fun in using an appliance to talk to people whose technical skills stopped at 'making up a cable'.

I may start again one day, but probably on 4m or maybe NVIS on 40m or 80m (perhaps AM too!).
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 9:00 am   #75
G4YVM David
Heptode

Come on guys!

How many have posted "might start again one day", "don't go on much but I will one day" etc etc etc. ?

If amateur radio is dull it's because so many interesting amateurs don't go on!! I use radios I have made myself, I use a Morse key I built, I don't use data, I try my damnedest to work on 2m Ssb, I have cw tag chews, I get out /p. It's harder today with poor sunspots and yes, the move awaybfrom a 1750 tone has all but killed the repeaters. Even the various digital voice modes seem to be in active as well as very expensive, so under used. I wouldn't buy one if it was free...I like radio and digital internet voice isn't radio. Butbtjats by the by

Truth is amateur radio is like all things...what we make it.

It's not dying, but it will if licensed hams don't remain active. And don't forget to retaliate your tickets with ofcom

David

G4YVM
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 12:53 pm   #76
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Well said that man!

The theme is "I listened and heard nothing".

Well if we all "listen" who is TXing to be heard, a self defeating argument. If you call CQ guess what - someone replies!

Its easy to sit on your computer and slag it all off. If you have lost interest then I'm sorry and I hope you I find something more fulfilling to use your time, but please don't sit there slagging off those of us who haven't

There IS activity and plenty of it. I have heard Japan each day this week, South America and plenty of EUs. I have probably only spent an hour listening and at the wrong times for the US and VK/ZL

For the anti-contest lobby have you not heard of the 10, 18 and 24 MHz bands? We have had them for 20+ years as far as I remember?

Plenty of activity on 17m this week and guess what - NO CONTESTS EVER

I get really fed up with all the unjustified shared negative sentiment

73 Fred
G4BWP
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 1:14 pm   #77
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Amateur Licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
If amateur radio is dull it's because so many interesting amateurs don't go on!!
I think that there is more to it than that. For myself, post #74 by G8HQP, Dave, gives good good explanations for the decline in Amateur Radio. Here, I am going to add my viewpoint.

Many years ago, before I acquired my AmRad 'ticket', I was an enthusiastic SWL. The use of Morse - as a means of communication - was (and still is) of no interest to me, although I have tried to learn it, but to no avail. So, when the G8 licence for VHF was introduced, I was thus inspired to study for and pass the R.A.E.: my G8 licence was issued and I had a lot of fun on 2m (refer to G8HQP's post). At that time, SSB was the dominant mode of voice transmission on the bands below 30 MHz, whereas AM and FM remained the favoured modes on VHF. The point I am now making is this: for an enthusiastic Radio Amateur who wanted voice communications, it was (and still is) a far easier proposition to design and build an A.M. transmitter than an SSB one. (For operation below 144 MHz, assuming a non-G8 call was held then, of course). And that growth of SSB heralded the introduction of the 'black box with lots of knobs on' - and a decline in home construction.

And here we are today, with the Internet; e-mail; 'social media'; mobile 'phones, etc. So many other methods to simply 'communicate' - all a lot easier than the traditional AmRad D-I-Y route - and at the same time, the complexity of electronics has increased enormously. Plus the dramatically increased amount of interference that one has to tolerate.

Put all those factors together - and you have most of the reasons for the decline in Amateur Radio.

Al. (G8DLH)

Last edited by Skywave; 3rd Aug 2016 at 1:22 pm.
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 1:21 pm   #78
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Amateur Licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy-dxer View Post
If you have lost interest then I'm sorry and I hope you find something more fulfilling to use your time, but please don't sit there slagging off those of us who haven't.
Having read the posts in this thread, I see no evidence that anyone is guilty of "slagging off those of us who haven't." However, If I am mistaken in that claim, then please enlighten me; thank you.

Al.
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 2:23 pm   #79

Re post #76, I am not that active on the ham bands (more interested in the technology rather than talking to people) but nearly every time I put out a CQ on HF (data modes, PSK31 mainly) or V/UHF (handheld via a repeater) I get an answer. I must admit I am a rubbish operator even after 30+ years, still contacts are kind and understanding.

Great fun talking to the world with your own stuff, beats a mobile 'phone anyday. It is easier these days because you don't have to keep a log book.

Old 3rd Aug 2016, 2:36 pm   #80
G4YVM David
Heptode

Well its not hard to keep a paper log book, which I still do.

I am not suggesting that amateur radio has or has not declined, but the fun and excitement that got me involved thirty odd years ago is still available.

If you scour the "for sale, giving up " adverts they almost all (in fact, I'll go further...they ALL) are selling high end commercial gear. The ONLY (well, almost) way you can buy someones home brew gear is as a silent key sale. Nuff sed.

On my shelf I have a simple Oxo Tx which was made and given to me by a long time pal Norm, G4LQF and I love it. I also have a super regen Rx which I made and which is fabulous to use. I have a Bitx, a Walford rig, I have a KX1 and a K2 both of which I made. And so on and so on. Almost all my test gear is homebrew. Most of my PSUs are home-modified.

Im only saying this to suggest that the fun has NOT gone from amateur radio...IT hasnt changed. It keeps me enthralled. But yes, it is diminishing and I do think in time it will cease to exist - but selfishly, if that happens after I snuff it I really don't care. The world moves on. In the mean time I shall enjoy it as always. The only thing that does sadden me is the effective death of 2m, reasons for which on a large postcard please, marked "bin"

Of course, if someone's interest has waned, so be it. It's of no concern really. In fact, the club I am chairman of (Andover) has about 60 members - of which number around 10 are active on radio - the others couldnt care a fig for it, they come for the cuppa!!

D
Closed Thread