UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2009, 2:30 pm   #1
RogerWalker
Hexode

Default Viewing underside of PCBs

Manufacturers often provide diagrams indicating the location of components on a circuit board; often with a ghost trace of the copper circuit underneath superimposed. Rarely do they provide a [much more useful] view of the copper circuit with component locations superimposed - a view of the underside. On a tightly packed PCB this makes it very difficult to apply one's soldering iron to the right pad when removing components.

In the past, I have had some success producing a reversed image by printing the component location diagram on thin paper, putting it in a scanner or copier upside down and getting an inverted image of the PCB through the paper. Depending on the clarity and darkness of the original, a fairly bleary inverted image was usually obtainable.

Recently, faced with a Philips scope to repair and having to remove a number of components for checking, I chanced upon a facility within Adobe Acrobat [in which I was viewing the .pdf manual file] to 'flip' the diagram horizontally or vertically - which produced a crystal clear view of the print side with components superimposed. The file has to be 'unlocked' to do this and I don't think the facility exists in the freebie Adobe Reader program. However anyone with basic computing skills and a scanner ought to be able to achieve the same result using Photo shop or similar image-editing software. Unfortunately, the flipping process also produces a mirror image of component references and values, but I just ink in the references/values of any components needing removal.

Apologies if this is common knowledge and has been reported before - it was such a Eureka moment that I wanted to pass it on!

Regards
Roger Walker
Old 15th May 2009, 4:08 pm   #2
richrussell
Heptode

Default Re: Viewing underside of PCBs

A bright light placed behind the PCB (supported in a frame/blocks/vice/croc clips etc) can make locating which track a component goes to on the other side a lot easier too.
Old 15th May 2009, 4:37 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I sometimes scan the track side of a PCB that I want to reverse-engineer.

Then, I print out a mirror image (with the free Irfanview, choose image and horizontal flip).

This can by placed next to the board, tracks-down, and makes it nice and easy to see what's connected to what.

Nick.
Old 18th May 2009, 1:10 pm   #4
Tom_I
Heptode

A couple of times now, for this sort of thing, I have photographed both sides of a board, adjusted both shots to exactly the same size, inverted one of them, then printed one on paper, and one on an OHP transparency. You can then do a direct overlay of one on to the other. I have to say that it's better in theory than in practice, but it does work.

One thing I use all the time, which really does work, is a keychain sized laser pointer. Shone at one side of a board, it lets you identify the exact point from the other side.

Tom
Old 18th May 2009, 11:03 pm   #5
RogerWalker
Hexode

Thanks Tom - I have always been a bit queasy about pointing any kind of laser at my eyes - even with something as opaque as a pcb in between - but I can see it is a brilliant way of identifying what one is looking at. I will invest in a pointer and try it out.

Best

Roger
Closed Thread