UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2019, 12:21 am   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Cleaning PCB

Excess flux on a board. Scrub it, but where to find a brush . Take one artists brush ,wrap with tape and it's job jobbed. I used a 15x6 mm, which tapes up to a firm 6mm brush.
Old 11th Sep 2019, 1:14 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Cleaning PCB

I use a toothbrush, or a cut-off paintbrush, depending which way I need to scrub!
Old 11th Sep 2019, 1:51 pm   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

It's even easier if you use an electric toothbrush....
Old 12th Sep 2019, 8:45 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've always used an old bristle paint brush that's been given a 'haircut'. I did try a toothbrush but got tired of scraping my knuckles across cut-off component legs. The advantage of a paintbrush is that a stronger solvent like MEK or Xylene doesn't dissolve it.
Old 12th Sep 2019, 9:40 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

My local art shop sells nice stubby paint brushes at 5 for a quid. I trim them too. Perfect for the job.

Agree on the knuckles issue with the toothbrush. I rather like not having road rash from cleaning a board!
Old 12th Sep 2019, 11:02 pm   #6
Oldcodger
Nonode

Mr B- must try that, but toothbrush- static problems? I've none in my circuit- it's a 7805 into an AMD 0512, but on CMOS, I'd be wary, with an electric toothbrush.
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 4:35 pm   #7
ionburn
Heptode

I tend to run a craft knife (the blunt side) along Veroboard to clear the space between tracks then brush with an old toothbrush. If I am really trying to clear things to spotless I use a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol then brush with the toothbrush.

I do use a paintbrush for dust around components, sometimes using it with isopropyl dependant upon risk to components.
Old 9th Oct 2019, 9:09 pm   #8
whiskas
Octode

I use an old toothbrush + IPA, gives great results for removing /dissolving messy flux..