UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2023, 5:39 pm   #1
MyGiveA
Diode

Default HMV 2030 audio output to tape cassette

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to all things turntable.
I'm trying to help out an old couple that have the HMV 2030 record player and they would like to record onto an old tape cassette recorder.

I've attached images to aid understanding of the equipment they have.

Question:-

What type of audio connectors does this HMV 2030 front panel use?

Is the front panel TAPE connection for audio out to a external tape recorder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	275486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	275487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	275488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	275489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	275490  

Old 21st Mar 2023, 5:53 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 2030 audio output to tape cassette

Looking at the 2030's circuit diagram, the Tape, Stereo and Radio sockets on the record player accept a 3.5mm mono Jack plug. The Tape socket is an output signal, for recording the record being played.

Use the cassette tape recorder's 5 pin, 180 degree, DIN socket to connect the output from the record player - don't use the microphone socket, as the signal from the record player would overload it and cause distortion on the tape recording.

On the DIN socket, pin 1 (the right hand pin) is usually the signal input pin and pin 2 (the middle pin of the five) is screen/common. If the tape recorder is a stereo one, pin 1 and pin 4 (the one between 1 and 2) should be connected together. If it is a mono recorder, then pins 1 and 4 may well be connected internally in the recorder.

The Stereo socket is for use with a matching HMV amplifier and speaker unit, to play records in stereo (the record player then outputs the left channel and the add-on unit, the right hand channel).

Last edited by dazzlevision; 21st Mar 2023 at 6:09 pm.
Old 21st Mar 2023, 6:49 pm   #3
MyGiveA
Diode

We'll, let's just kick off with saying fabulous response time and the details are precisely what I was thinking about but didn't yet ask...top man, saved a lot of head scratching.

I don't suppose I can buy a 3.5 mono to 5/180 din cable?
Old 21st Mar 2023, 6:51 pm   #4
MyGiveA
Diode

Tape cassette recorder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	275491  
Old 21st Mar 2023, 9:52 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well it is a mono tape recorder so it only needs a mono signal from the "tape socket".
The record player is mono also, but it should have a stereo compatible cartridge
Old 21st Mar 2023, 11:44 pm   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGiveA View Post
I don't suppose I can buy a 3.5 mono to 5/180 din cable?
Well, in times past, you could but I'm not so sure nowadays.

Maplin would have been a probable source.

You could try searching on Ebay.

I'll have a think about other possible sources.

The Matsui (a Currys own brand) cassette recorder is a basic mono machine.
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 12:19 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

That tape recorder is meant for home computers and will sound pretty lousy for music. Plus, its belts will probably need replacing by now.

The record player uses slightly different (rounded tip) 1/8" jack plugs than new ones, so you may get intermittent connection, if you are lucky then careful positioning of the plug or some regapping of the internal contacts of the socket may help.

Still, you can give it a go if you are curious and have time to experiment. I would buy a DIN to 4x RCA cable, that will allow you to use any of the DIN socket's pins (this gives you access to all of them, as we don't know which are in use on simpler cables). Also you would need a 1/8" jack to RCA/phono female adaptor to try on each of the four plugs.

If all this sounds like a load of hassle, it might be best to find cassette copies of the records on ebay and buy those!
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 10:25 pm   #8
MyGiveA
Diode

Default Re: HMV 2030 audio output to tape cassette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Well it is a mono tape recorder so it only needs a mono signal from the "tape socket".
The record player is mono also, but it should have a stereo compatible cartridge

What is a "The record player is mono also, but it should have a stereo compatible cartridge"

Thanks very much for your reply, especially the direct links to the images of the items you mentioned, thought that was very helpful.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 10:38 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 2030 audio output to tape cassette.

Sorry if this confused you. Your HMV record player is a Mono unit, although it has a Stereo output socket to feed a second amplifier aka "stereo adapter unit". It is also fitted with a Stereo cartridge which means that you can you can play your Stereo records safely, but of course it will only be reproduced in Mono. Now the "Tape" output socket is for feeding a Mono signal to a Mono tape recorder, which yours is. Has this attempt at clarification helped?
Old 24th Mar 2023, 9:35 pm   #10
MyGiveA
Diode

Yes, that's gives me a better idea.

I'll now get back to the elderly couple with a cable and show them what they need to do.

Thanks very much to everyone and for replying so quickly, much appreciated.
Closed Thread