UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2022, 8:11 am   #1
bristle66
Triode

Default Sources for Components?

As a newcomer to this refurbishment business, I'd welcome advice on where to go for components i.e. caps, resistors etc. There's a lot of stuff out there but it's not easy for a new start to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Old 1st Dec 2022, 8:33 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Sources for Components

If you look at the top level of the forum, you'll see that there is even a full section on where to get sets and parts.

This request really belongs in there, so I'll move it.

Have a look around in that (now this...) section and you'll see pointers to people's favourite component vendors. Different ones are better for different sorts of parts.

People will be reluctant to type all over again advice they know to already be in place.

Edinburgh used to have Brown's on George IV Bridge, Millars near the top of Leith Walk, and for a while in the 90's there was Spectrum far down Dalkeith Road. All gone, now. There isn't even an RS trade counter - the nearest is Glasgow.

So it's going to have to be mail order and the occasional amateur radio rally. You've just missed Galashiels, and the next is likely to be Barrhead next year.

David
Old 1st Dec 2022, 10:15 am   #3
bristle66
Triode

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Good of you to remind me that Edinburgh is now bereft of all suitable outlets. Not even a Maplin.
Old 1st Dec 2022, 10:57 am   #4
pmmunro
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

Edinburgh used to have Brown's on George IV Bridge, Millars near the top of Leith Walk, and for a while in the 90's there was Spectrum far down Dalkeith Road. All gone, now. There isn't even an RS trade counter - the nearest is Glasgow.

David
Brown's was a compulsory visit whenever I was in the area, even if it was only to look in the double window. There was also an excellent tool shop a few doors up the street which had a Myford 7 in the window. A different world.

I only remember going to what must have been Millar's once; I bought some EA50s just because of their novelty, to me at least. I probably still have them 50 years later.

RS also have a trade counter at Altens in Aberdeen. A bit remote, and when RS opened the undeveloped site opposite looked like the surface of the moon.

Having had an RS account since around 1976, it a bit sad to see them receding into the mists of volume sales only for so many items. Just when it seems the required item is available at a decent price you find that it's "£0.xx each in a packet of 1000". Farnell's claim to have components available, but only if you pay a £15.75 to have them sent from the US, I find almost insulting, as if the UK is a remote province which should just shut up and be grateful. Their insistence on American units of measure and UL practice doesn't help either.

PMM
Old 1st Dec 2022, 1:35 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Sources for Components?

This is another recent thread, not sure if anyone's posted a link to it yet-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=196268

Dave
Old 6th Dec 2022, 7:30 pm   #6
RadarAl
Triode

Default Re: Sources for Components?

We use CPC, Farnell, RS, Rapid and Mouser. There is a global shortage of components at present with up to a year leadtime. Farnell are usually much more more expensive than CPC (sister company) who at times supply Farnell bagged items, indeed some components are available from the US at cost.
Mouser UK are my favourite for large resistors (2 & 3W) and film capacitors suitable for valve wireless restoration, my last 2 orders were shipped direct from the US operation at no extra cost! You have to shop around.
Closed Thread