UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2023, 10:46 am   #21
di_colourist
Triode

Default Re: Philips PM5326 RF Signal Generator - reed relay problems

Hi Symon. Thanks very much for taking the time to search through your reeds for me. It's very much appreciated. There's not much clearance within the coils themselves, so the only ones that may fit would be the smallest on the LHS of your pic. I'll drop you a DM, and thanks again for your efforts! I've added a few from cpc to my latest order too, so at least I'd have two different types to try.
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 10:49 pm   #22
di_colourist
Triode

Default Re: Philips PM5326 RF Signal Generator - reed relay problems

I made some progress with the signal generator today. Initially replacing several reed switches with the two different types that I had at my disposal. (Thanks Symon for the ones that you generously provided) Once again it basically worked with both types, but with the same unreliable results that I had previously. I then did what I should have done in the first place and replaced all 10 relays on the top deck with similar vintage N.O.S. parts. The form factor wasn't quite the same, but two pins were in the right place so I soldered on very short pig tails to the other two. This somewhat predictably restored reliable results on all bands, with the range of each being as specified. This was scoping the output from the top board which is now fine. I still have a noisy signal from the RF output, which I'm betting is similar relay trouble on the bottom deck. I'll chase that another day as I ran out of time, but I'm hopeful that problem will be easy to track down. I'll post some pictures of the final repairs when I trace the problem on the bottom deck. Trevor.
Closed Thread