UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2006, 10:44 pm   #21
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Racal RA-17: Help needed!

No trickery really - I just set the TB on the scope to a suitable speed so I end up with no more than 2 complete "humps" - then just fiddle with the triggering so that I get a stable trace, then adjust the IFTs one at a time

As I say, very crude, but it seems to work - When I do my B40 I will try to photograph the results and setup to try to help others have a go.

Cheers
Sean
Old 13th Jul 2006, 10:47 pm   #22
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Racal RA-17: Help needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Would a television style wobbulator be good enough for sweeping around 40MHz? Definitely cheap and cheerful compared to decent professional sweepers but ample sweep frequency range.
I don't know. I've never taken any interest in TV. However, it's a worth a thought and I'll investigate it.

The problem with this sort of gear is that it's alright forking out £300 for something you're going to use, but for a job like aligning a comms receiver which probably needs doing when you buy it, then every ten years, it's a lot of money to sit on the shelf for most of us.

However, when I bought the 8640A I thought it was an incredible extravagance, but it's so stable and pleasant to use anything else is just horrible. It was a couple of hundred.

As you need a sweep generator to align the IFs of any serious comms receiver, AR88s , Eddystones on upwards, I might just bite the bullet and get a proper one.

Pete.
Old 14th Jul 2006, 1:24 am   #23
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Racal RA-17: Help needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC
As you need a sweep generator to align the IFs of any serious comms receiver, AR88s , Eddystones on upwards, I might just bite the bullet and get a proper one.
Pete.
Quite: me too! And of course, if you have an interest in things Amateur - like ssb generators, et al - then it's a must!

Al / G8DLH
Old 15th Jul 2006, 12:19 pm   #24
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Racal RA-17: Help needed!

Re: fixing my Racal RA-17.

I am pleased to report that my RA-17 is now OK
Thanks to everyone who made constructive input.
The drift of this Post is now completely OT.
Therefore, may I suggest it is closed now and the "how to fix" bits are safely stored in Archive ?
The sub-topic of sweeping SGs could be developed further: obviously in a new Thread.

BTW I am NOT trying to do an Administrator's job here!
I am simply trying to contribute, since I started this Thread.

Rgds. Al / G8DLH
Closed Thread