UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2012, 3:08 pm   #1
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default Crystalling Pye PF85's.

Does anyone know the formula for the receive crystals in Pye (Philips) PF85 PMR sets? I have a pair of marine vhf sets arriving soon (Band A1 or B2), each set up on marine channel 69. I'd like to move them up to 162.025 mhz and take off a tap at the discriminator for decoding maritime AIS data.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Robert B.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 5:28 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Crystalling Pye PF85's.

This might help. When you get them, look at what sort they are and then come back if needed.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/pmpc/PFX_Series.htm

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 7:31 pm   #3
davidw
Heptode

Robert,according to Chris Loreks PMR Conversion book PF85 A1 and B2 sets receive crystal is :-
Crystal Freq= (receive freq-10.7 Mhz)/3 so thats (162.025-10.7)/3 = 50.4417Mhz.
Hope that helps.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 8:16 pm   #4
kernowcam
Pentode

I would ring Quartslab to ask and order from. They are pretty good at this sort of thing.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 8:27 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Despite a 30-year history of recrystalling numerous Pye Cambridges/Vanguards/Westminsters/Whitehalls/Europas onto 144MHz, and having also earned my living for half-a-decade installing the Pye "MOULD" Pegasus-type radios, these days to be honest it just doesn't make sense to bother with rock-bound surplus PMR gear.

A couple of crystals cut to your intended frequency will probably cost more than a 'budget' chinese frequency-synthesized transceiver from the likes of wouxon or Feidaxin.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 11:38 pm   #6
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Or even a Baofeng for £30 or less.
But it is economically viable, for receive only, on one channel on two identical high-quality ex-PMR units, which I think was what Robert B. was intending?
Old 21st Sep 2012, 11:00 am   #7
HMV 1120
Hexode

Indeed, there are two AIS frequencies on which vessels transmit identity and position data, and being in Falmouth I thought I'd give it a go. I've tried taking the audio output from a synthesised RX to my soundcard for decoding, but this is resulting in a high percentage of errors. For packet data work a discriminator tap is more reliable, and I don't wish to modify this rig (or tie it up on AIS when it's often used as a general 2 meters monitor).

It also helps that I already have a PFX and PF85 on 70cms and a charger to accompany them, so a new pair of batteries are worth the £5 each they cost me. Getting a pair of crystals cut will be less than the cost of buying a new receiver (and potentially wrecking it trying to tap the discriminator) and far less than even a "budget" professional AIS decoder (prices start around £100).

Many thanks for the crystal data, I shall report back as this proceeds.

Regards,

Rob
Old 29th Sep 2012, 9:38 pm   #8
HMV 1120
Hexode

Further to the above, the sets have arrived and both appear to be in good shape. The batteries are recent replacements and hold their charge well, which is a nice bonus.

One shall be crystalled for AIS reception here. The other I should like to crystal for channel 16 under my portable marine licence. I assume the transmit frequency for these is F/9, i.e. for 156.8 = 17.4222. I'd be greatful if this could be confirmed.

My thanks and kind regards,

Robs
Old 30th Sep 2012, 8:32 am   #9
davidw
Heptode

Not quite Rob, according to the same source as post#3 the A1 and B2 transmit is f/8 (the uhf versions are f/9) so for 156.8, Xf= 156.8/8=19.6Mhz.
Both Chris Lorek's books are a must if you are into modifying ex PMR stuff. (no connection just a satisfied user)
Old 5th Oct 2012, 10:19 pm   #10
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I think I've got a PF85 service manual lurking about somewhere if you need more info.
Alan.
Closed Thread