UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2012, 6:31 pm   #1
plaka78
Pentode

Default Philco BT1840 TV

I spotted this Philco BT1840 TV at the Antique market in Salisbury. It is priced at £150 and appears to be in good condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philco.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	68611  
Old 15th Jul 2012, 9:06 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Philco BT1840 TV

Very interesting. By the look of that double 'D' mask it is a 16" model with a metal cone tube of the MW41-1 or English Electric T901 style, around 1951. A bit expensive at £150 especially as the tube is very likely to be U/S. A rare receiver all ther same. J.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 9:59 pm   #3
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Its a late '49 model and should be equipped with a 12 inch tube (possibly Mazda), though that screen does look a little flat.

Glad I wasn't at that antique market as with just a little haggling it'd now be sat in my car whilst I worked out where the hell to put it !

TTFN,
Jon
Old 12th Nov 2014, 4:47 pm   #4
Feedback
Retired Dormant Member

Apologies for re-opening an old thread but this was the first TV in my home when I was a kid.

My father bought it in 1953 for the Coronation. Our TV supplier, Edwards Radio, Oxford Road Reading UK, installed an H aerial and delivered no less than 3 different console models. They asked us to use them for 2 weeks and decide which we liked best. What wonderful service in those days. Dad chose the Philco BT 1840, which also had a good radio and a shortwave band or bands. I recall this was the most expensive of the three sets at 112 guineas, a small fortune in those days, when most men earned about £10 a week.

The circuit did not seem to incorporate any way to discharge the tube on switch off, so the picture turned into an ever decreasing circle which became a spot of increasing intensity and took several minutes to fade. Sadly this soon caused a round brownish burn mark to appear in the centre of the tube but we watched it like this until ITV was introduced in our area, when we changed to a "modern" 17 inch set.

Both of these sets required the head of the family to sit there with a book of complex instructions and jump up every few minutes to adjust the vertical, horizontal and line holds etc, as the picture always had a mind of it's own.

Last edited by Feedback; 12th Nov 2014 at 4:48 pm. Reason: expansion
Closed Thread