UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2012, 11:20 pm   #21
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Scratched Compact Discs.

Em!
Time for you guys to get your "Red Books" out and swat up on your CD theory I think.

Sorry I missed jjl's very pertinent post!
Old 8th Mar 2012, 12:31 am   #22
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Listener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Wobble View Post
I,ll just rip the lot and bung them in the bin.
If you're really going to throw them all away, make sure you've got solid back-ups of all the ripped files...
The relevant government website says that ripping CDs to any other format (MP3 file etc) without the copyright owner's consent is not legal in the UK http://www.ipo.gov.uk/c-other-faq-type-mp3.htm although it is the government's aim to change the law, thereby making it legal soon http://www.ipo.gov.uk/press-release-20111214.htm.

However even after this has been done you will still only be allowed to rip discs that you own. So it is worth keeping the originals, however damaged they are, just in case you need to prove one day that you do own them.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 1st Feb 2013, 2:15 pm   #23
spareflyer
Retired Dormant Member

As has been said, the label side is fragile but the read side can be polished out with metal polish, but try it on a scrap disc first.

There are also several CD copiers available which you can alter the amount of read retries. Also try the disc in another computer.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 6:14 pm   #24
Radio Wrangler

GJ,

In a plain vanilla CD player the data gets stored in various buffers and in many different formats, so if applied rigorously, the first law cited probably makes it illegal to play a CD at all.

After 22 years, the drawer gearing in my Sony CDP302ES bit the dust and it was time for a new machine. The old 302 served me well and worked hard. It was still on its original laser. So I went for another Sony... SACD5300ES. I've never even seen an SACD and I don't suppose I ever will, but it's very very good playing plain CDs. The problem is the amount of buffering or something.

Put disc in, close drawer, press play. It does a 10 second pause, then it flashes 'Reading' in the display for about 15 seconds and after that you get some music

I hate to imagine how much of the CD it's read internally. It's certainly extremely good with poor quality CDs. I've got some where the vac deposited aluminium is very spotty.

Once a disc is loaded, going from track to track is quite normal, but the delay on loading is terrible. I could change the tape on the Revox in a third of the time.

David
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:07 am   #25
dave cox
Nonode

I recently did a 'bulk' re-reading of CD's as I switched from mp3 to flac format. Allthought all of the CD's were carefully stored in jewel cases I found, typically, ~5% of the tracks contained 'defects' if they were read in 'standard' read mode (mostly high speed), and somewhat more likely to happen on higher number tracks. I found the same on 3 different CD/DVD drives and on 2 different computers!

I discovered this as a few of the defects were audiable but careful analysis revealed gaps from ~1mS where the left and right channel stay at one particular sample value. Re-reading while forcing a lower speed in most cases eliminated this but a few CD's needed a good clean and sometimes a good look under the microscope !

dc
Old 27th Feb 2013, 11:43 pm   #26
ianj
Heptode

I have hundreds of cds dating back to 1986, and home recorded cdrs on computers and a hifi recorder, from 2001 onwards, all are ok, as I dip into them constantly. Curiously, one commercial boxset of 8 cds I bought in 1988 have completely discoloured from silver to a lovely golden shade, but they play perfectly. My cd player is a 1988 Technics machine bought brand new , and its never had any repairs needed. It has had a hell of a use in that time.
Old 28th Feb 2013, 12:59 pm   #27
dave cox
Nonode

I should clarify my point about the defects I discovered, ALL the discs played without 'noticable' defects in my audio CD player - this has a philips CDM-9 transport and seems to be almost immune to the different dyes on writable, re-writable or even scratched pre-recorded discs, but of course it is only reading them at real time speed. The problems occured when the discs are read by a computer drive. In this case no errors were report from the drives but none the less defects occur in the written files !!

dc
Old 28th Feb 2013, 5:05 pm   #28
LXSTEIN45
Hexode

It is interesting is this post because I have got a DVD with some BBC content on it, copied by a colleague at a local club. Now this plays perfectly, however when I try to copy it I get an error and no matter what software I use the same error comes up, related to reading I think. Completely opposite situation this time round and I was surprised previously!
Old 2nd Mar 2013, 7:26 pm   #29
threeseven
Octode

Like others have mentioned here I have about 400 CD's, some dating back to when CD was introduced and as far as I know there is only one that has gone faulty, due to some sort of internal decomposition. I play them regularly, I can't say all but a large percentage and the only problem I ever have is dust or particles causing skipping. It would seem that my 80's Denon CD player isn't tolerant of dust but all I need to do if it happens is blow it off with a can of camera dust off.
As even CD players are becoming redundant now which has reduced prices, I will look for a more high end one. I just cannot get on with the idea of ipods, HD storage devices etc. I like a physical music collection.
Old 5th Mar 2013, 7:53 pm   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXSTEIN45 View Post
It is interesting is this post because I have got a DVD with some BBC content on it, copied by a colleague at a local club. Now this plays perfectly, however when I try to copy it I get an error and no matter what software I use the same error comes up, related to reading I think. Completely opposite situation this time round and I was surprised previously!
Try a different DVD-ROM drive in the PC (or another PC, depending on what you have access to). Their ability to read disks with slight defects varies greatly, and not in a consistent way (so you can't say that brand A does better than brand B because in some cases brand B will do better). I have found that Liteon are generally good though.

If the drive can't read the data then it doesn't matter what software you use. The only software that can sometimes help is ISO Buster because it tries to read the raw data rather than relying on the disk indexes etc.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread