UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2012, 10:19 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Repairing an Avo leather case

Following my recent request on the Forum for a vintage-looking Avometer case, member John ("timewave") was kind enough to send me an old Avo leather case at no cost. On arrival, it was missing one leather strap and the other had come unstitched, the carrying handle was missing and there was no shoulder strap.

After some considerable thought and a few measurements, I went to my local pet shop and bought two brown leather dog leads which were identical in width and just slightly thicker than the missing strap. I stitched the loose strap back into place, using some matching thread I found in my wife's sewing kit. I cut one dog lead up to make the missing strap, and fortunately the lead had some existing stitch holes where it had been sewn to form the hand loop. Amazingly these holes aligned with the stitch holes in the lid of the case, so it was a relatively simple matter to sew into place by hand, as I have no leather needles.

The carrying handle and fittings were also missing from the top of the lid, so another piece of leather lead was cut to size, drilled and fixed to the lid with two M4 nuts and bolts - not 'original', but perfectly strong and functional. Finally, I made a shoulder strap out of the second dog lead! Leather is easy to cut with a Stanley knife and, if leather punches are not available, neat holes can be drilled in it with an ordinary drill bit at a low speed.

So as you can see, the old case has a new lease of life and will probably outlast me. It houses my Model 7 and will help to keep it safe and pristine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avo case.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	61289  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 16th Jan 2012 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 16th Jan 2012, 10:35 pm   #2
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Repairing an Avo leather case

A very nice job Phil, well thought out and well executed too!

Regards,
Old 17th Jan 2012, 2:36 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Impressive Phil. If the economy collapses we may need leather craftspeople to keep things going The shoe-repairers in my home town used to provide this kind of service re bags and belts etc -much missed. I note that one of these Radio Times/D Mail supplements [Coopers] has a multi-function hole punch on offer currently [complete with eyelets and snap fasteners] for a few pounds.
Dave W
Old 17th Jan 2012, 3:34 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks to both Daves for your kind comments. To be honest, I did think about taking it into a shoe repairer, but then I thought "how much will that cost?" and being a skinflint (allied to the fact that the box was given to me free) I set about fixing it up myself, and learned something in the process. At work, we call it "a personal development opportunity" although I certainly don't think my leatherworking skills would be good enough to support my family in the event of a collapse of the economy!

My mother had a phrase "better an imperfect repair than a perfect hole" and this sums up my approach to repairing test gear in general, and this job in particular. A proper restorer would, I guess, try to darken the new leather to match the existing, but hey, it's a box, and life's already short enough!

Old 17th Jan 2012, 5:48 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
'At work, we call it "a personal development opportunity"'
At work we call it 'doing a homer', but I shall remember your turn of phrase for when challenged. Your post and its threads also lend themself to the word 'cobblers', but I didn't use it, lest it be misconstrued!

A good job well done. My only problem with AVO cases so far has been the stitching coming adrift, which I've managed to overlook - for the time-being anyway. I understand a passable AVO handle can be made from an old black belt.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Jan 2012, 9:34 pm   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Russell, our "personal development opportunity" is a euphemism for "a task which may be otherwise unpleasant or difficult, but which broadens the individual's knowledge and skills" and the phrase is sometimes used as a sweetener when someone doesn't want to do what they're told!

Cobblers aside, I once tried to make an Avo handle from an old black belt, but he objected violently for a man of his age, and in a deft Judo move threw me to the floor!

Closed Thread