UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2011, 8:41 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Dial cord.

Hello, having stupidly melted the drive cord I needed something 0.4mm dia. (approx as near as I could measure.) with a smooth surface, I had some black woven stuff but it would not work, ordinary nylon fishing line was too stiff and slippery. But found what appeared to be the same in a fishing shop sold as 'Backing line', I hope this is of some use.
Cheers
Geoff.
Old 25th Aug 2011, 1:14 pm   #2
ddelectrical
Diode

Default Re: Dial cord.

Hi Geoff. Just had an Eddystone 730 A with busted cord and after much searching came across some wonderful stuff called "Tiger tails". Used for jewelery making - bead necklaces etc. It is 0.4mm diameter, comes on 10mtr reel, 7 strand plastic coated. £3.50 a go. Found this in a jewelery shop in Wales but try on net for same. Havnt looked yet but looks like lots of bead necklaces made of this stuff. Cannot solder ends into spigots on tuner spools so had to drill 0.5mm hole through and knotted with tiny drop of super glue to hold in place. Works a treat. Will kink fairly easily so care needed when fitting. Does straighten out ok if run over a screw driver shank or similar though. Very strong stuff - wrapped round two screwdrivers and tried to pull apart to no avail.

Hope this helps.

Old 25th Aug 2011, 10:57 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi thank you, another good idea. This particular set had plastic pegs as guides, nothing as exotic as pulleys and ordinary woven cord had too much friction to work. So much in fact that it was bending the PCB with drag.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 28th Aug 2011, 11:03 am   #4
Bryan M
Pentode

Another suggestion is terylene 'whipping cord' obtainable from shops selling sailing gear, and available in a variety of thicknesses. I think it also comes in waxed or unwaxed flavours.

Bryan M
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 3:37 pm   #5
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Been off the net for a few months ,so missed this one .May I suggest the "strip" cord on telephone cable .It's nylon an of small diameter .Seem to remember using this on a homebrew Radiogram I built in the 70's ,using a repaired radio board .A metre of cable should be enough( unless like me you've got a roll or two lying about) .
Old 25th Feb 2012, 5:42 pm   #6
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

Wink Re: Dial cord.

I have plenty original dialcord.

http://www.bendijkman.nl/index.php?o...mid=53&lang=nl

Only original dialcord has:The specific quallity's that are needed for our radio's.
Fishin line or else may be very cheap, but thats allso the only positive
there is to tell about it.

Once you have used new original dialcord, you wil 100% share my uppinion.

Only original dialcord gives that perfect result.
You'll notice allready instandly when you start to restring your nice radio.
It just works fine,and gives supperb result!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzz 0,4mm.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	63167  
Old 12th Apr 2012, 9:33 am   #7
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Dijkman View Post
Only original dialcord has:The specific quallity's that are needed for our radio's...
...Only original dialcord gives that perfect result.
That's odd. I used an old bit of string I saved from last time I hung up my Christmas cards. And once I got the tension right, it seems to work fine.

Though - I've yet to finish the restoration - perhaps on listening to the radio, I'll notice the sonic degradation which will have resulted from failing to employ long-grain oxygen-free dial cord...
Old 12th Apr 2012, 2:48 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

I don't think there's any audiophoolery there incidental or otherwise. Just a bit of wares awareness promotion from Ben_Dijkman, who does have some interesting stuff.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Apr 2012, 10:01 pm   #9
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Mark in Manc,

I doubt whether you would notice much difference in the sound of your radio whatever dial cord you used. Long grain molecule cord does stretch a bit with time however and I don't think it is oxygen that causes it. This can be a pain especially with some Philips sets so avoid it.

My trouble with string is getting the right diameter and sensible friction properties. I have been surprised how many different sizes I have needed for different sets. I have never found string thin enough to fit all and still have the strength needed. Thin string usually has less friction so it might need more turns round the drive spindle. This too has its problems.

I have actually used Ben's cord and it was a joy. Much easier even than salvaged cord from other sets.

If you have found a useful cord then fine. Don't worry that it is not oxygen free.

Regards
Old 12th Apr 2012, 10:25 pm   #10
Alistair D
Nonode

My brother was a keen angler. In the 60s and 70s I restrung a number of dial cords using lengths of backing line supplied by him. I have to say that it was possibly slightly fiddlier to use than proper dial cord but was a 100% success.

I have had a look at the Tiger tail line mentioned by ddelectrical. That looks as though it would work well for more than just dial cords. Further investigation shows that it is also possible to buy small ferrules that can be crimped onto the wire to form the end loops.

Al
Old 13th Apr 2012, 12:39 am   #11
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

The stuff I bought as dial cord at the NVCF was quite distinctive. It has a woven outer a bit like coax sheathing and a loosely spun inner. It does very nicely, but I'm sure it's man made fibre. The cord I've seen in fifties radios looks a bit cruder, but the NVCF stuff would be a good replacement. Philips domestic radios used wire.

I'm pretty sure that the dial string on the CR100 was a linen thread, not the braided and loose woven core later stuff, so Ben_Dijkman's point about original dial thread might merit further scrutiny depending how close to the original you want to get.

There have been a few threads on this in the past and braided nylon fishing line (not monofilament) has been something people have found good. I've used the nylon coated bead stringing wire and found it works.

Eddystones used wire dial stringing and IIRC the EUG recommends Drennan 27lb braided wire line as an authentic substitute.

Pete.
Old 13th Apr 2012, 8:07 am   #12
FrankB
Heptode

Here I have used types of fishing line called various names such as Cuttyhunk, Halibut line, Cod Line and others.
Its a woven type line in various diameters (Pounds/KG test strength) and I have seen it in green, black, red & yellow.
Works fantastic for me.

The stuff I have is green and now about 50-70 years old ,and is still in great shape. (I inherited a couple of hundred yards of it loaded on halibut fishing reels from my father when he passed on).
Old 19th Apr 2012, 9:07 pm   #13
mark_in_manc
Octode

Sorry Ben / others - just my knee-jerk to what looked like a commercial. I'm sure it's great stuff.
Old 21st Apr 2012, 9:57 pm   #14
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

O.K. Mark.
No hard feelings )
I think it's just a pitty that good advice with picture and weblink, was seen as a commercial. I do this just for hobby :Make possible that new spare-parts are deliverable.
Often I have to put in a lot of private money, to realise new items for a good/honest price. It takes often 2 or more years before I have my invested money back, but I don't care as long if my products are the best possible quallity for a good price.
Thats my hobby next to collecting Philips radio's.

Delivering the newspaper, brings al lot more money then my repro-work wil ever do.
Thats why it hurts , if people think/say that I'm doing this just for the money.
Closed Thread