UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2006, 2:18 am   #1
vince
Retired Dormant Member

Default A Sucker Can Blow Just As Good.

My hoover wasn't sooking as good as it should (the pipe was blocked).
However! surely most of the old timers on this forum have experienced this. suspect most have used the vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust and cobwebs in vintage equipment that falls in their lap.

Sucking dirt from a chassis with the long pointed hoover tool with the diagonal slimline end is effective but sometimes cannot reach the innaccessible nooks and cranny's that abide..

pick up a hoover at the car boot sale for tuppence, remove the dust bag and fit your own adapted hose in it's place then you can blow the the parts clean.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 8:55 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: A Sucker Can Blow Just As Good.

Some old cyclinder vacuum cleaners had identical fittings on both ends so you could fit the hose on either the suck end or the blow end. My mum had a Goblin one like that for many years.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Jan 2006, 3:04 pm   #3
sparkie
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: A Sucker Can Blow Just As Good.

Nice idea but for one thing - your radio might either have been used in an atmosphere (factory, garage etc) which in the past contained nasty stuff like asbestos fibres, brake linings dust or something else damaging to health, or it might (DAC90...!!) contain asbestos as part of the structure. And if you do this indoors or in your workshop, you'll just spread it everywhere....

So get the tuppenny hoover from the boot fair but retain the dust bag, take the chassis/cabinet outside (using a paint brush gets muck out of the hard-to-reach places), and carry on sucking...!!! Steve
Old 30th Jan 2006, 4:53 pm   #4
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

I sometimes use my vacuum cleaner in suck mode to get dust out of a radio but I help it by scrubbing the area being cleaned with with a paint brush at the same time. It is vital to cover the metal bristle clamp on the paint brush with tape or you can put nasty scratches on IF cans etc.
John.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 6:49 pm   #5
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
Some old cyclinder vacuum cleaners had identical fittings on both ends so you could fit the hose on either the suck end or the blow end. My mum had a Goblin one like that for many years.
We had one of those round Hoovers that could be put into suck or blow mode - actually I dont think my current Dyson vac can blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie
Nice idea but for one thing - your radio might either have been used in an atmosphere (factory, garage etc) which in the past contained nasty stuff like asbestos fibres, brake linings dust or something else damaging to health, or it might (DAC90...!!) contain asbestos as part of the structure. And if you do this indoors or in your workshop, you'll just spread it everywhere....
Any cleaning like that is done outside - and I wear a mask as well as sparkie says the set may have been in a factory or similar sometime.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 6:50 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I always use a vacuum cleaner & paintbrush and it works well, but not, as you say, for inaccessible nooks and crannies.

A compressed air line is great, if you can use it outside. I've got one at work, but you can get a cheapo compressor at B&Q etc. for £50 or so if you're lucky.

I've often considered using two old vacs, one to blow and another to suck

On the subject of vacuum cleaners, the vast majority that I find thrown out have minor faults, if any (blocked hoses, o/c switches, faulty mains cables etc.). A salvaged Henry makes an excellent second machine to keep in the workshop, and is suitably robust and compact.

Nick.

Nick.
Closed Thread