UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2011, 10:52 pm   #21
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Re: Cheap batteries in Poundstretcher

The GP branded alkaline cells available in bulk from CPC seem to be pretty good. We use them at work in the multimeters and cable avoidance tools and they last well and are fairly cheap.

Kev
Old 11th Jul 2011, 11:08 pm   #22
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

I'll second the gold peak batteries as good un's

Shop around though, CPC are almost always offering them as a 'Can I interest you in a box of?' with money off, but I usually get them from Charley Hyde at good prices.

I get through quite a few of those MN23 12v jobbies in my Peak testers regardless though.
Old 16th Jul 2011, 3:21 pm   #23
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Just got back from a wander round town and the local Poundstretcher are selling off batteries at half price or on BOGOF deals, I got myself a couple of the packs of CR20xx batteries, cos they were 99p a pack...

Dunno if those offers are the same across the board but may be worth investigation if there's one local to you...
Old 17th Jul 2011, 10:27 pm   #24
davegsm82
Heptode

I was in out local B&M store yesterday and spotted these...

Thats 60 AA Cells for £2.49. And what does 60x 1.5 = ?

Yes, a whole 90 volt battery for £2.49.

Now, where did I put all those AA battery holders?....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0154.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	54055  
Old 17th Jul 2011, 10:34 pm   #25
paulsherwin

The very cheap B&M AAs used to be really awful, but those seem to be a different brand. Maybe they've switched suppliers and stopped selling the out and out garbage. If anybody buys some, maybe they could report back here.

Nobody expects ultracheap AAs to last forever, but the basic requirement is that they shouldn't leak before their best before date.
Old 17th Jul 2011, 10:44 pm   #26
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegsm82 View Post
Now, where did I put all those AA battery holders?....
Looks like one is included isn't it
Old 18th Jul 2011, 9:15 am   #27
broadgage
Nonode

Very cheap zinc carbon cells are indeed rubbish and are best avoided.
Cheaper brands of alkaline are normally OK, IME, but may have a lower capacity than well known brands.

I would avoid Duracells from markets, car boot sales, pound shops and the like as I suspect many to be fakes.
Duracells in non standard packaging MAY be genuine. These cells are available loose in bulk packs for volume users, I believe that some suppliers purchase these bulk packs and retail pack them on blister cards themselves, often genuine but short dated.

I usually buy the Duracell "procell" branded cells and batteries, these are not meant to be sold retail and are unfamliar to many consumers. Hopefully that means that they are not worth faking !
Reputable but less well known brands such as Kodak are hopefully less liable to forging also.
Old 18th Jul 2011, 3:49 pm   #28
paulsherwin

Quote:

Thats 60 AA Cells for £2.49.
I had a look in my local B&M today and they didn't have any of these, just the usual rubbish (Powercell?). The 99p shop next door was selling 6 Polaroid branded alkaline AAs for 99p, dated 2018. I bought a pack and will report back if they're unusually bad or good.
Old 18th Jul 2011, 4:18 pm   #29
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

I cant comment on the Polariod alkaline batterys but have used the zinc carbon ones an they seem ok, Your right about Powercell, there Ok to test stuff with but do not leave them in your equipment, they do leak as i baught a torch with some in and digging them out is no fun, there so bad that you can squeeze them flat with your fingers thats how thin they are, The JCB range alkaline are ok for the price but there zinc range i suspect is made by Powercell as there very thin unlike the metal clad Panasonic which i find the best value, Poundstretcher do Kodak which seem ok to.

I spotted some cheap Duracells in the Metro centre today but they just had a plain orange card so was not sure if genuine but there is a clearance shop near where i live that sell Duracell cheap an in its genuine packaging, they also sell Alba batteries in alkaline which i have not seen before.
Old 18th Jul 2011, 5:03 pm   #30
davegsm82
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Quote:

Thats 60 AA Cells for £2.49.
I had a look in my local B&M today and they didn't have any of these, just the usual rubbish (Powercell?). The 99p shop next door was selling 6 Polaroid branded alkaline AAs for 99p, dated 2018. I bought a pack and will report back if they're unusually bad or good.
Ah well thats a shame.

If anyone is particularly interested in giving these a go then i'd be happy to pick up a couple of packs and send them on for cost+postage. I may give them a go myself eventually. I have a 'Sky Baby' somewhere which works, barring the (now gutted) 90v battery.

Dave.
Old 18th Jul 2011, 8:38 pm   #31
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
Very cheap zinc carbon cells are indeed rubbish and are best avoided.
"Very cheap" as in price or quality? I often buy genuine Panasonic Zinc-Carbon batteries (Red & White packaging) off a reputable local market trader, 50p a pack (AAA & AA come in 4x packs, C & D in 2x packs, and PP3 in single packs), and to date, they haven't leaked, exploded, corroded or anything, so price isn't always an indicator of quality...

They're pretty reliable too when used with low-current devices, though try and use them with say a digital camera and they fall over pretty sharpish...
Old 18th Jul 2011, 9:50 pm   #32
paulsherwin

Those Panasonic batteries are OK and I've never had any leak. 50p per pack is a good price - market stalls generally charge 75p-£1. Very cheap no-brand zinc carbons are sold in packs of 20 or more for about £1, usually with quality to match.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 11:33 am   #33
paulsherwin

I finally tracked down some of the Optimum brand batteries mentioned by Dave in post #24 a couple of months ago, and have been experimenting with them since.

So far they seem much better than the awful Powercell brand sold in B&M previously, with reasonable battery life and no sign of bulging or leaking. I would recommend them at the price.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 6:29 pm   #34
Top Cap
Octode

I bought a pack of Kodak branded AA Alkaline batteries at my local pound shop. Took camera to Bletchley Park and after two shots camera display said "Change Battery Pack". Never had this problem before when loading new batteries before a photo shoot. Luckily Bletchley Park sell Duracell AA's in their shop so I could continue taking photos throughout the day. Don't think I will buy any more batteries at the pound shop.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 11:02 pm   #35
davegsm82
Heptode

Unfortunately I've not done anything with my 'Optimum' batteries, in fact the unopened pack is currently propping up my video projector so that it points at the bare wall instead of the DVD cabinet!

Dave.
Old 8th Oct 2011, 1:58 pm   #36
stephen
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cap View Post
I bought a pack of Kodak branded AA Alkaline batteries at my local pound shop. Took camera to Bletchley Park and after two shots camera display said "Change Battery Pack". Never had this problem before when loading new batteries before a photo shoot. Luckily Bletchley Park sell Duracell AA's in their shop so I could continue taking photos throughout the day. Don't think I will buy any more batteries at the pound shop.
Were these gold or black coloured alkaline Kodak AA?
I buy a lot of batteries for the grandchildrens toys and the gold body coloured kodak alkaline Supralife were good. In the last few weeks these have been superseeded in our local poundshop with black body coloured alkaline xtralife Kodaks of which i have no experience yet.
Old 8th Oct 2011, 2:59 pm   #37
paulsherwin

Some digital cameras have a very heavy current drain especially if a flash is being used. They certainly sort the men from the boys where batteries are concerned.

Personally I've found Kodak alkalines to be rather varied, but none have been unacceptable and none have leaked. I haven't used them in very high drain appliances like a camera though.
Old 8th Oct 2011, 7:46 pm   #38
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Cheap batteries in Poundstretcher, Poundland, B&M etc.

I have a Philips portable TV (15CT2309) and the original (Maxell I think) batteries still work the handset from across the room...

And no leakage whatsoever.

Expiry date Sept 1986
Old 8th Oct 2011, 8:18 pm   #39
Top Cap
Octode

Had a good look at these Kodak AA's, this time with my spec's on. OK Yes I know, I should have gone to ----savers lol, the battery label states they are Zinc Chloride Heavy Duty but for low power products! That's like saying here is a 1kW Drill but only to be used for model making. Either I or the world is going daft!
Old 8th Oct 2011, 8:31 pm   #40
paulsherwin

Zinc chloride aren't alkaline though - they certainly won't run a digital camera but will be OK in a radio or remote control. Most batteries claim to be 'heavy duty' now, and the term is pretty meaningless. The Optimum batteries mentioned in #24 (£2.49 for 60) are marked 'Super heavy duty' but they're only zinc chloride, and such claims should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
Closed Thread