UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2010, 11:03 pm   #1
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Finding Knobs

I restored a Philco Transitone 52-540. This is a 5 valve compact Bakelite table radio. Rebuilding the electronics was straightforward but I had a problem in that the knobs were not original and worse, they were odd. My usual sources failed to turn up replacements but I recalled that bottle caps look very much like radio knobs.
I located two similar bottle caps and glued them over the current radio knobs and they looked quite acceptable.
John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image28.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	44164   Click image for larger version

Name:	image36.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	44165  
Old 20th Dec 2010, 11:36 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Finding Knobs

That's just the job John , they certainly look better than the odd ones , you never know some may turn up one day.

Sometimes we have to improvise.
Old 21st Dec 2010, 12:55 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Finding Knobs

Hello John,

I've got one of those Transitone radios, a Canadian built 81-122 which is all but identical to the US built 52-540. Here is a pic of it with its original knobs, your best bet for an original pair for yours is to try some US websites who deal in old US radio spares. It certainly looks better with bottle tops in the meantime !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1951_Philco_81-122_Transitone.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	44168  
Closed Thread